Sunday, January 08, 2012

We Need to Talk About Annie

So apparently it took me until 2012 to realize that there is some kind of soul-twin, spirit-animal, cosmic connection between Tilda Swinton and Annie Lennox. I mean, the androgyny, the continental weirdness -- Tilda basically played her angel Gabriel in Constantine AS Annie Lennox, for Pete's sake. But, whatever, better late than never. (This was also the weekend for me to discover that Annie wrote and recorded the Whitney Houston song "Step By Step." Yes, from The Preacher's Wife. I've never felt like more of a failure.)

But as I was walking around the other day, listening to my iPod, it dawned on me that "Why" is secretly a 20-year premonition of Tilda's character in We Need to Talk About Kevin! Well, it COULD happen! She's looking back, interpreting everything as darkly as possible, "this is the fear / this is the dread / these are the contents of my head," I mean COME ON.

Anyway, I was discussing this connection with Nick, and it was late, and my brain was squishy and open to suggestion, and I had PhotoShop and Spotify open at the same time, and so what resulted was this series of images marrying Tilda's various roles with Annie's various hit songs, and it was really entertaining to me when I was doing this at two in the morning so I hope you like it.

(Click to view full-size images -- Blogger is crap for image space.)





(above courtesy Nick Davis)

(above courtesy Nick Davis)

.
.

No comments: