Saturday, May 28, 2011

2011 Upfronts: Building a Better Fall TV Schedule

As promised, here's how my own fall TV lineup looks. Truthfully, not all that taxing, which makes sense since so many of the great-looking new shows are mid-seasoners.


Midseason: "Alcatraz" (Fox, 9pm)l "Smash" (NBC, 10pm)

Dropping "How I Met Your Mother" and "Gossip Girl" has pretty much freed up my Monday nights entirely, at least until midseason, when I belong to "Smash."

8pm: "Glee" (Fox)
9pm: "Ringer" (CW)
9pm: "New Girl" (Fox)
9:30pm: "Raising Hope" (Fox)
10pm: "Parenthood" (NBC)

Midseason: "Cougar Town" (ABC, 9pm); "Apartment 23" (ABC, 9:30pm)

Cable (unofficially): "Sons of Anarchy" (FX, 10pm)

Fox has put together a pretty great night, assuming "New Girl" is what I hope it to be. But with my beloved "Cougar Town" returning with "Apartment 23" in November, that 9pm slot is looking awfully competitive. "Ringer" should have a few weeks to convince me that it's worth time-shifting my schedule for -- I finally saw the trailer for the Sarah Michelle Gellar twin drama, and I can't say I'm not intrigued.

8pm: "Survivor" (CBS)
8pm: "Up All Night" (NBC)
8pm: "The X Factor" (Fox)
9pm: "Modern Family" (ABC)
9:30pm: "Happy Endings" (ABC)
9pm: "America's Next Top Model" (CW)
10pm: "Revenge" (ABC)

Wednesday has certainly become the most competitive night on my schedule, no thanks to my curiosity over Simon Cowell's return with "X Factor" (although replacing Cheryl Cole with Nicole Scherzinger on the judging panel definitely dampens that enthusiasm some). Something may have to give at 8pm, though I certainly hope "Up All Night" is good enough to give me a dilemma. Also, yes, I'm back onboard with "America's Next Top Model," at least for this all-star season. Once more into a breach of Tyra's massive ego, and all that.

8pm: "Community" (NBC)
8:30pm: "Parks and Recreation" (NBS)
8pm: "The X Factor" (Fox)
10pm: "Prime Suspect" (NBC)

Midseason: "30 Rock" (NBC)

Cable (unofficially): "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia" (FX)

Dropping "The Office" was made easier when it wasn't paired in the same hour with either "Community" (which frustrated me a lot in Season 2, but I'm still hopeful it can rebound) or the brilliant "Parks and Recreation." "Prime Suspect" gets the suddenly-lean 10pm time slot to win me over, which I could see it doing.

9pm: "Fringe" (Fox)
9pm: "Grimm" (NBC)

Reminiscent of when "Dollhouse" and "Ugly Betty" suddenly made Friday nights a DVR hot zone, I once again have competing shows in the Friday Death Slot. I'm going into this season with the expectation that it will be the last for "Fringe" -- I just hope they end the series on a better note than they ended the season. And I'm weirdly optimistic for "Grimm," even if this time slot says NBC doesn't feel the same.


Midseason: "Bob's Burgers" (Fox, 9:30pm)

Cable (unofficially): "Boardwalk Empire" (HBO); "Bored to Death" (HBO)

Sunday nights remain the dominion of HBO and Fox comedies, though I'm holding out hope that ABC will give an early hook to either that fairy-tale show or "Pan Am" and then plug in "Good Christian Bitches" either before or after "Desperate Housewives" where it belongs.


Anonymous said...

Justified? It is gone this season?

Joe Reid said...

Not until the spring, probably.

Sarah said...

Are you at all intrigued by Hell on Wheels?

Anonymous said...

Hee -- NBS? Been reading too many Studio 60 tweets?

~jessica said...

I don't know how it is there, but here there are a few cable providers that allow quad-DVR recording. You might want to look into it. I've had it a few years now and it's effing great.