Monday, March 28, 2011

The Week in TV

Also, check the sidebar for some new film reviews >>>

Bob's Burgers
This show has really hit a stride, with every member of the central family bringing so much to the table. Witness Louise's unexpectedly touching moment of admitting she was jealous of her dad not spending time with her. And yet almost immediately after there was Gene undercutting the sentiment. With farts. And, yes, Tina is fantastic as well -- and a character you don't get nearly enough of on TV: the straight-up weird teenager. Kudos. Also, it's gotten less and less jarring to hear Archer's voice coming out of Bob's mouth.

Survivor
I have the most terrible feeling that next week's redemption challenge will see Matt (who I have been rooting for, and whose benign-but-persistent Christianity is a lot easier to take when he's reclining shirtless on the beach, his tanned torso glistening in the sun, framed by his golden locks of hair...savvy marketing, God. Very savvy marketing) lose out to Stephanie (who I LOATHE beyond the telling of it), who will immediately be inserted back into the game. Those fears aside, I guess I'm trying to figure out who I'm rooting FOR (um...Andrea? Suddenly-offputting Dave? Emerging stud Grant?). I already know who I'm rooting against (a re-smuggified Rob; stupid-yet-self-righteous Ralph; no-necked Stephanie). This blurb has been brought to you by parentheses.

Top Chef
As I said on Twitter over the weekend: Top Chef did an amazing job of taking the best-assembled reality show all-star cast of all time and steadily whittling them down to a final pairing that has ensured that I will not even be watching the finale. Richard Blais versus Mike Isabella? Are you KIDDING me? So my choices are to either watch Richard's fait-accompli coronation, where his high fucking opinion of himself can finally be validated; or watch him once again fail at the end (yay!) ... meaning awful, gross Mike Isabella would have HIS high fucking opinion of himself validated. Not that the latter has a prayer of happening anyway. Not a chance, Bravo.

Justified
I've really gotten into Season 2 -- particularly the more standalone episodes, which have, among other things, really brought the Rachel and Art characters into focus. But this week's episode was a smidge problematic for me. I appreciated that the missing money from last week snowballed into a problem so farcical it at one point involved a pants-less Stephen Root (Emmy-worthy guest work in a relatively non-showy role). I just wish the characters -- Raylan a little, Winona a LOT -- didn't have to be so severely dumbed down to get us there. That said, it might've been worth it to see the return of Timothy Olyphant's Seth-Bullock-clench. (Also, finally getting Boyd tied into the Mags storyline was a long time coming.)

Amazing Race
Poor Luke, you guys. I know the general TAR fandom turned on him a ways back, and a huge part of me wanted to grab him by the shoulders, put on my best Meryl-Streep-as-Hannah-Pitt, and tell him that he should make a better show of himself. Then again, that's what a good boyfriend does, and I am nothing if not a good boyfriend. Anyway, click on over to Yahoo to read my recap of this week's episode.
.
.

6 comments:

Tara said...

On Justified: I'm pretty sure pantsless Stephen Root was a character detail they established with him last season. I also suspect that episode was a hybrid of standalone and continuing storyline in that it was wacky (yet suspenseful (for me)) but also set up stuff that will pay off later in the season -- especially the introduction of the mining-company lady.

Having said all that, I think we both know I can't be objective about the show? At all? So grain of salt. xoxo

Joe Reid said...

All true, and I should have mentioned (as I did on Twitter) that the episode was CRAZY suspenseful even if the central nugget of the show was rather silly. I think I am just having a hard time getting past how dumbed down Winona had to be for the story to even take place.

Jon Foerster said...

Re: Survivor, I'm totally with you on Smugmeister Rob, but your affection for Matt is something I just don't get (and you're not alone, gay guys all over the internet astoundingly feel the same way). You realize his staunch Christianity means he probably thinks homosexuality is a sin right? I know not all Christians are homophones but Matt is REALLY Christian (to a pathological degree) which makes it all the more likely he would find gay men repulsive.

And after his lousy play this week, we know for sure he's a moron.

Jon Foerster said...

Re: Survivor, I'm totally with you on Smugmeister Rob, but your affection for Matt is something I just don't get (and you're not alone, gay guys all over the internet astoundingly feel the same way). You realize his staunch Christianity means he probably thinks homosexuality is a sin right? I know not all Christians are homophones but Matt is REALLY Christian (to a pathological degree) which makes it all the more likely he would find gay men repulsive.

And after his lousy play this week, we know *for sure* he's a moron.

Joe Reid said...

Baby, I don't want to elect the guy or anything. ;)

And honestly? I don't play the "he probably hates us" game. Or at least I try not to. I don't understand the personal-God beliefs that Matt keeps talking about, but he's thus far shown himself to be a perfectly nice and kind (if dim) person who has yet to show any sign of Christian judginess. I may well be wrong, but I'm at least going to wait until there's some kind of proof. Opinions are changing in this country so rapidly, I don't think we can make assumptions sight unseen anymore.

Jon Foerster said...

Good point Joe. He's proven to be dumb, but not necessarily judgmental or self-righteous. And hey, he took out Russell which is reason enough to like him.:)