Monday, February 21, 2011

LowRes 2010 Movie Awards: The Moments

The 2010 LowRes Movie Awards: 30 Amazing Moments / Best Trailers / Best Techs (Visual) / Best Techs (Audio) / Screenplays + Director / Breakthrough + Ensemble + Cameo / Supporting Actor + Actress / Lead Actor + Actress / Top 10 Films

Last year, I kicked off my annual "Hey, wouldn't it be cool if people gave a shit about my favorites in movies?" awards with a tip of the hat to 25 of my favorite scenes or moments of the year. It set the perfect tone for what I want these "awards" to be -- using the excuse of the Oscars to highlight the moments, accomplishments, and people who really made me love movies in 2010. This year, I decided to bump it up to 30 (it was a good year).

30* Amazing Movie Moments from 2010

The flash flood escape sequence in 127 Hours and its soul-crushing conclusion.

The terrifying sight of Pope looming over Nicky's bed in Animal Kingdom.

Karina Fernandez mock-hanging herself with her scarf in Another Year.

Cher smashing Kristen Bell's car window with a tire iron in Burlesque.

Nev giggling while reading text messages he's sent -- a scene that takes on very different shades depending on how you believe the movie came about -- in Catfish.

The car wash scene in The Crazies.

The "Flashdance" scene in Dogtooth.

Everything involving Emma Stone, Patricia Clarkson, Stanley Tucci, and Dan Byrd in Easy A.

The DisneyLand job in Exit Through the Gift Shop.

Michael Fassbender's ass-cracky introduction in Fish Tank.

The re-creation of Kathryn Hahn's proposal in How Do You Know.

The first flying scene with Hiccup and Toothless in How to Train Your Dragon.

Sam Rockwell in Iron Man 2.

The Ben Stiller crack, the Michelle Obama line, and the card catalog full of jokes in Joan Rivers: A Piece of Work.

Obviously the Joni Mitchell dinner scene in The Kids Are All Right.

Timothy Spall's insane burlesque of Winston Churchill in The King's Speech.

The extreme and generous Jake Gyllenhaal nudity on display in Love and Other Drugs.

The extraterrestrial mating scene in Monsters.

Either the underwater nymph ballet or the propeller scalping in Piranha 3D.

The exquisitely sad and beautiful image of the comic book in Rabbit Hole.

Closed-door dance party in Restrepo.

Dakota Fanning's Cherie Currie applying the Ziggy Stardust war paint in The Runaways.

Angelina and the choke chain in Salt.

Brie Larson and Brandon Routh's intimidating cool in the otherwise insufferably breathless Scott Pilgrim vs. The World.

Patricia Clarkson in the cave in Shutter Island.

Everything about the Winklevoss twins (except for the dorkily twee "Winklevii" moniker -- yes, even if it was based in fact) in The Social Network.

Either the opening car-around-the-track scene or the at-home twin strip-tease in Somewhere.

The disturbingly sexy wrongness of Dren doing it with Adrien Brody in Splice.

WATER DANCE! in Step Up 3D.

Everything Blake Lively does at any moment in The Town.

The universally beloved scene where Andy teaches Bonnie how to play with his old toys in Toy Story 3.

*I cheated and added one. My blog.


jessica said...

Rabbit Hole was my absolute favorite film of 2010, and I thought all the images from the comics were gorgeous too.

Sandisan said...

Thank you for the pic of Stanley Tucci in Easy A. OMG, could that shirt have been any tighter??? I think I drooled every time he was on screen. Even my very straight hubbie was entranced.

Walter L. Hollmann said...

"Angelina and the choke chain in Salt."

Literally half-rose from my seat at that point. Fortunately, the theater wasn't full :).

You are forever in my book of Greatest Movie Bloggers Evarr for including Step Up 3D's water dance here. That movie...made me so happy.

Jeff said...

YES "Salt"!!!!!!!!!! Easily one of my most satisfying rush-y film experiences of the past year.

Popcorn and Cigarettes said...

Blake Lively in The Town! YES!!
I am so glad someone else loved her as much as I did. Best part of the film in my opinion.