Saturday, October 23, 2010

Little Help?

You know, I was talking to someone the other day about how spoiled we've become on the internet, with everything at our fingertips. It's not a novel observation by any means, but the most concrete upshot for me is that I simply CANNOT ABIDE it when I am unable to find a song that I want to hear right this minute. If I have to search further than YouTube or iTunes I just get furious. Classy, first-world, white-people problems? You betcha! They're all I've got. And I could use your help with this one.

The latest episode of Boardwalk Empire -- my recap here, in case you'd like to hear me make a few jokes at the expense of the Irish --ended with a really pretty version of the Irish tune "Carrickfergus," sung by (if the internet is to be believed) Loudon Wainwright III. I'd love to get my hands on the full version. Alas, the best YouTube can do for me is the following clip.

And, not that I don't appreciate the effort in ripping the audio straight from the episode, kind YouTuber, but I have to figure there's a more ideal way of listening to this rather pretty song than having it accented by Eli Thompson's pukey wretching. I barking up the wrong tree thinking it's Loudon Wainwright? Is there some corner of the internet that has a more pristine version of this? Anyone got an inside track to Scorsese's iPod? Any help would be swell.


Kelly said...

HBO verifies that it's Loudon Wainwright, but his website doesn't list it, though it says it doesn't list his unreleased songs. I can't find it anywhere, so I'd think he either released it just to them or recorded it specifically for the show.

DuchessKitty said...

I stopped watching "Boardwalk" after the first couple of episodes, so I had to listen to the YouTube clip.
I remember my mom having a Loudon Wainwright album from the early 70s that I recall had that song on it.
But when I looked at the album I thought it was (Album III), the track's not on there. So now I'm just as frustrated as you! My mom passed away a couple of years ago; these are the silly things I miss about her the most - she could always be counted on to know the answers to the most obscure music questions. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.