Thursday, October 07, 2010

Dear America: Step Off

In writing up my little blurb about this week's Glee for the sidebar, I'm reminded of just how many TV writers and bloggers and such dumped on their choice of "One of Us" for the episode. Not that it was a dumb choice in an episode about God, and not that the cheesy arrangement was annoying, but that the song itself was empirically awful. Listen up, professional whiners and malcontents (...among whose number I aspire to be), because I'm only going to say this once: pick Glee apart all you like, but STEP OFF of Joan Osborne.

You don't like "One of Us," whatever, I disagree but the lyrics are pretty silly so I can see your point. But I have no patience for anybody not willing to take a cursory look behind her biggest hit and see the raspy-voiced dynamo behind it. Don't make me drag you to a live show and make you see for yourself. (Though seriously, check out a live show and see for yourself.)

At this point, I have no choice but to post several YouTube videos and shame you all into submission. For shame!



Roommate Mark said...

Testify, my brother. Joan Osborne is amazing. First of all, "One of Us" was a hit because it's a good song. Sure, it's a little flippant, lyrically speaking, but it's also got a lovely melody, and if you just take a quick minute to think about what the lyrics are trying to address---the idea of whether or not people are actually made in God's image--then you kind of have to admit that the song deserves credit for at least trying to be ABOUT something. (At least, I have to admit that.)

But more than that, there is just absolutely no denying Joan Osborne's excellence as a singer. Her voice rattles me to my core.

So I agree with Joe, America... step the fuck off of Joan Osborne.

Jessica said...

Oh, St. Teresa... one of my go-to singing-in-the-car-by-myself-on-a-long-drive jams. That's one gorgeous song, and Joan has one gorgeous voice. Thanks for posting that video, so I can listen to her knock that song out of the park all morning.

Stephanie said...

Her version of "What Becomes of the Brokenhearted" is one of my favorite songs ever. I was so disappointed when that Didi girl on American Idol this year did the song, but didn't do Joan's arrangement. That sustained note in the bridge! She could have lasted another week, at least!

I'll also add this as evidence in favor of the "Joan Osborne is Awesome" argument:

Joe Reid said...

There's a better-quality vid of Joan singing "What Becomes of the Broken Hearted" on YouTube that they won't let me embed. There's also NO quality video of her performing "Righteous Love," her underrated song from her underrated album of the same name. Seek it out!

mosprott said...

Thanks for the Joan love. I've stopped watching Glee, and was cringing when I saw that they'd used One of Us (too damned easy), so I welcome a good solid defense. [Don't forget her version of I'll Be Around - my favorite ever!]

Jennifer DKD said...

Thank god someone stepped in to defend her. St. Teresa and Man in the Long Black Coat give me chills. I've always been sad that she hasn't been more successful for those type songs.

(And don't get me started on Lea Michele doing "Papa Can You Hear Me" - I had to immediately listen to Barbra sing it to clean my brain.)