Tuesday, August 03, 2010

Joe Reid vs. The World

I was fortunate enough to get a pass to a free preview screening of Scott Pilgrim vs. The World last night, and while I'm under no kind of embargo, I figure I'll hold off my thoughts on the movie proper until it actually opens and y'all have seen it. I'm not sure if this is more a function of who my friends are these days or if it's something I can chalk up to Things These Days, but it feels like we're losing more and more conversation about the movies because we're all seeing them on such a staggered schedule.

Anyway, I did want to come here with my one dominant reaction coming out of the screening, one which I voiced on Twitter last night: if this movie were called Stacey Pilgrim and Wallace Wells vs. A Different Movie Altogether, I would have felt much happier exiting the theater.

Not that Kieran Culkin and Anna Kendrick were the only performers worth loving. In fact, Kendrick's not in enough of the movie to give a full performance anyway. But also, in a cast this overstuffed, the law of averages alone says there will be a good handful, and indeed props must be given to Chris Evans, Mae Whitman, Brie Larson, and Aubrey Plaza. Plus Brandon Routh has never in his life looked as fuckable. So there's that! Silver linings!

But seriously, Kendrick and Culkin need a second chance to shine onscreen without any purple-haired sourpusses or mopey smugmiesters pulling focus. Make it happen, Hollywood.
.
.

2 comments:

Kirk Hamilton said...

Heh. "Mopey Smugmeister."

Jude said...

ANNA<3. She needs a starring role, like, ASAP.