Thursday, August 12, 2010

Before Y'all Start Making Step Up 4-Eva*

*credit to Pamie for that all-too-plausible title...

So, you know I saw Step Up 3D on opening weekend. And besides squeaking every time Legacy (LEGACY!) appeared onscreen, marveling at how much fun water-based choreography is in 3D, and sneering at Julian and his trust fund, I had to wonder about the casting.

This makes three straight Step Up movies where the lead characters have pretty much been the same: hunky, dim guy meets deceptively down white girl. Now, I'm not talking about making the leads more ethnically diverse -- I'm not CRAZY. And honestly, if they want to keep cycling in a new underwear model or mumbly dreamboat (or even the odd actual dancer) every movie, that's fine with me.

But with these female leads, it dawned on me that they're all pretty mediocre dancers, but they're also all chasing the same ideal. That cute faux-tough girl who can dance in a hoodie and sweats, hang with the boys, romance the lead, and actually rock the hell out of the dance battles. You guys, why have they not just cast Lauren Gottlieb already?






I mean...right? I'm not saying playing to the Dance audience will yield huge box-office, but Lauren's at least a bigger draw than the no-names they've had, she's a better dancer, she's got personality for days, and she's no worse an actress than what these movies call for. Make it happen, Hollywood!
.
.
.

11 comments:

Melissa said...

Joe, you are a GENIUS!

pamie said...

Honestly? I thought that's who we were watching.

The Pretentious Know it All said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Pretentious Know it All said...

Love the title, but I dunno...I think the next one is destined to be called Step Up 4 Real or possibly Step Up 4 Real(z) if they're feeling particularly frisky. And let's hope that James Franco is still going through his "ironic" thesp-ing phase when they greenlight that one so we can get "served" by Daniel Desario.

pamie said...

I also pitched "Step Up 4 the Last Time."

Sara Morrison pitched: Step Up 4-mulaic Plot.

Monty Ashley said...

I was going to say what Pamie said. I kept staring at her trying to decide whether or not she was Lauren Gottlieb.

Also: Step Up 4 Lyfe (note stupid spelling)

Joe Reid said...

Step Up 4-tune 500

Who's gonna have trouble with the bank NOW, huh?

Vance said...

genius!

jessica said...

Will I be able to appreciate the nuanced storytelling of Step Up 3D if I have not yet seen the first two Step Up films?

Anonymous said...

if you follow jon m chu's twitter... the next step up movie is ACTUALLY called Step Up 4eva!! lol

Anonymous said...

I think step up 4 should incorporate all of america's best dance crew in there movie.Moose should stay in there as the leader of the crew.I think this should be about the streets coming back to fight for the title and it should be STEP UP 4:REVENGE OF DA STREETS