Thursday, July 08, 2010

Emmy Nomination Reactions

(Thanks to Gawker for the list.)

Emmy nominations were announced this morning! Technically, I'm on vacation, but I had to get on here and see how I did in my predictions!

"Breaking Bad" (AMC)
"Dexter" (Showtime)
"The Good Wife" (CBS)
"Lost" (ABC)
"Mad Men" (AMC)
"True Blood" (HBO)

How'd I Do? 5/6, missing True Blood for House. In my defense, this is a pretty WTF nomination, as you don't see True Blood reflected in any of the other categories.

How'd They Do? Pretty much as predicted; can't really complain when the twin AMC giants are there.

"Curb Your Enthusiasm" (HBO)
"Glee" (Fox)
"Modern Family" (ABC)
"Nurse Jackie" (Showtime)
"The Office" (NBC)
"30 Rock" (NBC)

How'd I Do? 5/6 -- though I had "Nurse Jackie" just on the cusp. I'm slightly shocked that it was "The Big Bang Theory" that fell off, though. With the exception of "The Good Wife," it was not a great morning for CBS.

How'd They Do? Well, they nominated the wrong two NBC comedies, and snubbed brilliant work from "United States of Tara," "Party Down," "Cougar Town," et cetera. But within the parameters of what was likely, they didn't nominate "Entourage." That's progress.

Jim Parsons - "Big Bang Theory"
Larry David - "Curb Your Enthusiasm"
Matthew Morrison - "Glee"
Tony Shalhoub - "Monk"
Steve Carell - "The Office"
Alec Baldwin - "30 Rock"

How'd I Do? 5/6, missing Matthew Morrison for Charlie Sheen. I wouldn't have necessarily put Matthew on my list, but this still seems like an upgrade.

How'd They Do? I don't know whether to groan or snore at ANOTHER Shalhoub nomination. I had started to doubt by prediction of a Joel McHale snub in the last few days, and I'm disappointed to see my first instinct was correct.

Bryan Cranston - "Breaking Bad"
Michael C. Hall - "Dexter"
Kyle Chandler = "Friday Night Lights"
Hugh Laurie - "House"
Matthew Fox - "Lost"
Jon Hamm - "Mad Men"

How'd I Do? 4/6; I missed Matthew Fox and Kyle Chandler for Kiefer and Simon Baker.

How'd They Do? Way better than I thought they would! I'll never be called a Matthew Fox fan, but he gets nominated for his best season here, so I can't begrudge. And Kyle Chandler! Effing finally! Really strong group of actors here.

Lea Michele - "Glee"
Julia Louis-Dreyfus - "The New Adventures Of Old Christine"
Edie Falco - "Nurse Jackie"
Amy Poehler - "Parks And Recreation"
Tina Fey - "30 Rock"
Toni Collette - "United States Of Tara"

How'd I Do? 4/6 -- missed Lea Michelle and JLD, having picked Patrica Heaton and Mary-Louise Parker. I pretty much ate crow on a lot of these "Glee" nominations. Guess the Emmy voters are fans.

How'd They Do? Poehler was the one on the bubble who I was worried about, so in that case alone, this is a success. And I actually think Lea Michele is pretty great on "Glee," so I'm not complaining.

Kyra Sedgwick - "The Closer"
Glenn Close - "Damages"
Connie Britton - "Friday Night Lights"
Julianna Margulies - "The Good Wife"
Mariska Hargitay - "Law & Order: Special Victims Unit"
January Jones - "Mad Men"

How'd I Do? 5/6; missed Connie Britton for Holly Hunter.

How'd They Do? CONNIE BRITTON! Fucking finally. I honestly thought this nomination would never come, so I am obviously thrilled. Some sad snubs here, though, from Anna Gunn to Katey Sagal, to Lauren Graham. Voters could have gives Mariska and Kyra a year off.

Chris Colfer - "Glee"
Neil Patrick Harris - "How I Met Your Mother"
Jesse Tyler Ferguson - "Modern Family"
Eric Stonestreet - "Modern Family"
Ty Burrell - "Modern Family"
Jon Cryer - "Two and a Half Men"

How'd I Do? 4/6; obviously I didn't think the Colfer nod was happening, and I missed Jesse Tyler Ferguson for Ed O'Neill. Pretty surprised by that one.

How'd They Do? If you cover up Cryer's name, not half bad! The Colfer and Ferguson surprises are really pleasant ones, and even though great work from Tracy Morgan, Justin Kirk, and Michael Urie was snubbed, this is a strong group. (Also, I called the Rainn Wilson snub, didn't I?) Also, on a shallow note: three gay characters and three/four* gay actors nominated in one category! Go team!)

*Give or take whatever Jon Cryer is telling people these days.

Aaron Paul - "Breaking Bad"
Martin Short - "Damages"
Terry O'Quinn - "Lost"
Michael Emerson - "Lost"
John Slattery - "Mad Men"
Andre Braugher - "Men Of A Certain Age"

How'd I Do? 6/6, baby!

How'd They Do? Part of me sees this category as Aaron Paul and Five Guys Who Shouldn't Beat Aaron Paul. But I will never be sad to see Emerson and O'Quinn get recognized for being awesome.

Jane Lynch - "Glee"
Julie Bowen - "Modern Family"
Sofia Vergara - "Modern Family"
Kristen Wiig - "Saturday Night Live"
Jane Krakowski - "30 Rock"
Holland Taylor - "Two And A Half Men"

How'd I Do? 4/6; missed Bowen (though she was probably next on my list) and Taylor for Jenna Fischer (shoulda known better) and Vanessa Williams (who I honestly thought would get one more Ugly Betty victory lap).

How'd They Do? It's not a terrible list, though the Holland Taylor nom is a head-scratcher considering she'd been snubbed last year and the show as a whole really dropped off the radar this year. I'll never begrudge Kristen Wiig, but I didn't think this season was the same kind of breakthrough the last couple were. I still think this comes down to Lynch v. Vergara, but I'd be more interested if they'd nominated Rosemarie DeWitt or Merrit Wever or Busy Philipps.

Sharon Gless - "Burn Notice"
Rose Byrne - "Damages"
Archie Panjabi - "The Good Wife"
Christine Baranski - "The Good Wife"
Christina Hendricks - "Mad Men"
Elisabeth Moss - "Mad Men"

How'd I Do? 3/6; Quoth myself: "One of these years they're going to stop nominating the Grey's Anatomy women. I have no idea if this is that year." (Spoiler: this is that year. Sad neither Sandra Oh nor Chandra Wilson ever won.) Good on Archie Panjabi for getting through on what seems to be pure performance. And the Sharon Gless nomination appears to exist under the Cagney & Lacey Memorial Perpetual Nomination umbrella.

How'd They Do? I don't watch "The Good Wife" so I can't really say, but I am sad Chloe Sevigny couldn't break through for Big Love. But how sad can I possibly be with Christina Hendricks finally an Emmy nominee? This category seems wide open for the win, too, so I'll be excited to see who comes out on top.

Mike O'Malley - "Glee"
Neil Patrick Harris - "Glee"
Fred Willard - "Modern Family"
Eli Wallach - "Nurse Jackie"
Jon Hamm - "30 Rock"
Will Arnett - "30 Rock"

How'd I Do? 2/6; I guessed on the wrong two "30 Rock" guys (Matt Damon and James Franco are bigger stars AND were funnier; I stand by those picks), and while I guessed that Harvey Fierstein would be snubbed for a lesser "Nurse Jackie" performance, I didn't expect it would be a nothing Eli Wallach turn. Whatever, I got NPH and Fred Willard right!

How'd They Do? They nominated Mike O'Malley, which I never expected but give them big credit for. A great performance from an actor I didn't think was capable of such.

Beau Bridges - "The Closer"
Ted Danson - "Damages"
John Lithgow - "Dexter"
Alan Cumming - "The Good Wife"
Dylan Baker - "The Good Wife"
Robert Morse - "Mad Men"
Gregory Itzin - "24"

How'd I Do? 3/7l I got Lithgow (a no-brainer), Danson, and Cumming. And in my defense, I don't watch "The Closer" or "The Good Wife," so it was harder to see Bridges and Baker coming.

How'd They Do? Lithgow will and should waltz to a trophy. Robert Morse is the rare nod to a Guest Actor who's actually part of the ensemble, so that's nice.

Christine Baranski - "The Big Bang Theory"
Kathryn Joosten - "Desperate Housewives"
Kristin Chenoweth - "Glee"
Tina Fey - "Saturday Night Live"
Betty White - "Saturday Night Live"
Elaine Stritch - "30 Rock"
Jane Lynch - "Two And A Half Men"

How'd I Do? 5/7, missing Joosten and Lynch for a pipe dream hope that Judith Ivey's superior "Nurse Jackie" performance would be recognized. She died, she chewed scenery, what more do you want??

How'd They Do? Can't really complain about Cheno, Fey, Stritch, and Betty White, can you?

Mary Kay Place - "Big Love"
Sissy Spacek - "Big Love"
Shirley Jones - "The Cleaner"
Lily Tomlin - "Damages"
Ann-Margret - "Law & Order: Special Victims Unit"
Elizabeth Mitchell - "Lost"

How'd I Do? 3/6, incorrectly guessing Christine Lahti and Debra Winger and also incorrectly guessing that the Cagney & Lacey umbrella would cover Tyne Daly on "Burn Notice."

How'd They Do? Two of the biggest, best surprises of the whole slate: Mary Kay Place! Elizabeth Mitchell! So very well-deserved, and a long time coming.

BONUS OUTRAGE: The only things I care about in the Reality Show categories this year are Cat Deeley and RuPaul's Drag Race, and since both were snubbed, I feel like I can ignore that category this year. (I'm no reality snob, obviously, but the Emmys have dug a deep rut as far as those shows are concerned.)


Tracy said...

"Part of me sees this category as Aaron Paul and Five Guys Who Shouldn't Beat Aaron Paul. But I will never be sad to see Emerson and O'Quinn get recognized for being awesome."

My thoughts exactly.

Andrew: Encore Entertainment said...

Tony Shalhob is good on Monk though the show had gotten insufferable and Kyra Sedgwick is still the Best of the six for me (even with my darling Close there). I just want them to give her an Emmy since they gave the one she deserved to Mariksa Hargitay. Vomit. I had a bad feeling about the Sandra Oh snubbed, SHE should have won before the show went south.

But Cheno? Michele? Krakowski? and POEHLER? Who am I to mope with those women on the list?

Adam807 said...

I'm about halfway through catching up on The Good Wife and I HIGHLY recommend it. In a couple of years I expect it will fill the acting nominations, especially for guest stars. I'd love to see Dennis O'Hare nominated for both Good Wife and True Blood.

Melissa said...

So happy for Kyle and Connie (FINALLY), I could fucking cry!

DuchessKitty said...

I'm more happy than disappointed, which is a first for me regarding the Emmy nominations.
So many pleasant surprises this morning.

Michael said...

The Cox snub hurts. It must suck being snubbed for the 11th time in your life (13th if you count 'Dirt,' but who does?).