Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Trailer Trash: Never Let Me Go

Who'd make up stories as horrible as that?

You guys, this one stopped me in my tracks. Never Let Me Go was already on my radar for its cast (Carey Mulligan, Andrew Garfield, and Kiera Knightley play the central trio, but also Sally Hawkins, Charlotte Rampling, and my new off-Broadway mistress Andrea Riseborough) and director (I ultimately didn't love Mark Romanek's One Hour Photo, but his music videos were some of the best ever created, and he's got a definite creative eye). And I hadn't even read the acclaimed novel on which it's based (Time's choice for best of the decade, as the prestige-seeking trailer reminds us). Which I think helps make this already haunting trailer to be even more effective.



See what I mean? What's going on? Why the hand-scans? What's this talk of donations and souls? It's like an M. Night Shyamalan trailer except you know there's going to be substance behind all the strange goings on. But it's not the pervasive weirdness that's got me most hooked. I feel like I'm already invested in these people after only two and a half minutes. Which is crazy and an illusion, but that's a trailer putting a movie's best foot forward. When I can already tell I'm going to be raving about Andrew Garfield's performance, things are moving in the right direction.

And the music! I had to double back about halfway through because I got distracted trying to place the score. It's Marcelo Zarvos's from The Door in the Floor, of course. One of my favorite and most underrated pieces of movie music ever. I don't think I could be more excited to see a movie this year. Get here soon whatever date this movie opens!
.
.
.

3 comments:

nhlandon said...

Have you read the book? I've taught it several times; it's excellent, and the trailer has me very optimistic for the film. Just the right amount of creepy.

sam said...

I can't even begin to tell you how much I LOVED this book. Totally broke my heart.

Rachel said...

I loved the book, which always makes me scared for a movie, but the trailer looks fantastic. Excited!