Tuesday, May 04, 2010

Tony, Tony, Tony Has Done It Again


I didn't think I'd end up blogging about the Tony nominations, mostly because, after following the precursor awards throughout the season, I'd given up hope that any of my favorites would end up getting recognized. As I've said before, I fully admit that I have next to no authority on matters of the stage. Though I've really increased by Broadway attendance this year, I've still only seen a tiny fraction of what was eligible for this year's Tonys. (It doesn't help that the two shows I was most moved to write about here -- The Pride and The Understudy -- were off-Broadway and thus not Tony eligible.)

Even so, I had my favorites (In the Next Room and Superior Donuts among them) , and it just seemed like they were destined to get passed over for Tony love. But credit Roommate Mark for reminding me that the Tony nominating committee sometimes has a mind of their own. Here were some of the nods that made me yelp this morning:

Best Play: In the Next Room, or The Vibrator Play
Definitely the best Broadway show I saw all year. Sarah Ruhl's play was funny and unexpectedly insightful, beyond the one-joke premise ("Can you believe they used to use vibrators as therapy??").

Best Actress in a Play: Laura Linney, Time Stands Still
I liked Times Stands Still quite a bit, and while I don't think I truly loved it, I am unambiguously in love with Laura Linney and and thrilled that I got to see her perform in this show. I guess it's not incredibly common to be able to see your very favorite actress perform live in a role she'll be Tony-nominated for. And, not to be spiteful or anything, but I'm equally happy Alicia Silverstone was not nominated for this same play.

Best Performance by a Lead Actress in a Musical: Christiane Noll, Ragtime
Best Performance by a Featured Actor in a Musical: Bobby Steggert, Ragtime
I wasn't wholly thrilled with Ragtime -- and I'm kind of horrified to see it not only nominated for Best Musical Revival, but also for its director and stage design, which were both pretty glaring weaknesses -- but these two performances were incredibly strong and deservedly recognized.

Best Performance by a Featured Actor in a Play: Jon Michael Hill, Superior Donuts
I'm disappointed that this play wasn't able to remain at the front of voters' minds from all the way back in last October. At the time, I'd have said Michael McKean was a shoo-in for Best Actor. That is, until the avalanche of big-name, big-talent actors took the stage this spring and made the Best Actor list look like it could double as an Oscar category (Denzel Washington, Alfred Molina, Christopher Walken, Liev Schrieber, and Jude Law). Still, Jon Michael Hill was the best performer in that whole show, and it's a minor miracle he survived the long, hard winter to a nomination, so cheers for that.

Best Performance by a Featured Actress in a Play: Maria Dizzia, In the Next Room, or The Vibrator Play
EASILY my favorite nomination of the year. I plainly thought Maria Dizzia had no chance at a nomination, considering practically no one was talking about her hysterical, scene-stealing work as the most nervous of repressed housewives. Love, love, loved her in this show. Thanks, Tonys!
.
.
.

2 comments:

Mollie said...

Agree 100% with you on "Ragtime." What's worse is that I don't want to root for anybody in the "musical revival" category.

Also Jon Michael Hill! Even I'd forgotten about him after all this time.

NATHANIEL R said...

have you heard that Christina Ricci is replacing alicia silverstone when TIME STANDS STILL comes back in september?