Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Guilty Pleasures Week?

I'm not sure if I can stretch this out to a full week of content, but yesterday's Empire Records post led to some real lively discussion in the comments, and one of the guilty pleasures offered up was Camp, which: YES, YES YES. I don't think I have the heart to call it a bad movie, but I certainly can't deny it's littered with flaws.

But this is a movie that rekindled my love affair with performing arts kids. That actually gave me my first real exposure to Stephen Sondheim (weirdest/most appropriate cameo ever). That reminded us all of the tyranny of cute straight boys.

Plus, in this age of Glee, who can't appreciate these musical performances that ride the line between "obviously amateur" and "heart-burstingly wonderful"? My favorite remains the underhanded triumph of evil gnome Fritzi.



Seriously, if Anna Kendrick gets nominated for an Oscar for Up in the Air, all us Camp fans can say we saw her first.

Most of the other performances are far more earnest, but it's not a guilty pleasure if it lets you feel all ironically superior. So bask in the drama-queer sentimentality!





The un-embeddable "How Shall I See You Through My Tears." A pox on un-embeddable videos!
.
.
.

3 comments:

Joslyn H said...

Thank you SO MUCH for this - now I know where I know Anna Kendrick from! Just ready the interview with her in EW this morning and it was driving me crazy. Camp is flawed but wonderful.

And based on yesterday's comments alone, I'm pretty certain you could make this a full week. Seconding the vote for "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun".

DuchessKitty said...

Camp will always be one of my favorite movies, flaws and all.

I remember the first time I saw it in the theater. I was crying at the end and sort of embarrassed about it until I looked around and saw that there a lot of other people in the audience crying too. And one the kids from the "Electric Company" wrote and directed it so you gotta love it more!

Pillow Fighting Fanatic said...

You must be reading my mind or watching cable the same time I am, because this was on IFC and I had to watch it, again. And Anna Kendrick killed that scene. Someday, I'm going to use the line. "Can it Rummie. She's fucked. I'm ready and the Godamn show must go on!" Love it....

Also, I just rewatched Head over Heels yesterday, which is the epitomy of guilty pleasures. I mean seriously, Freddie Prinz Jr. playing an FBI man undercover? Not even my disbelief can suspend that freaking high....