Wednesday, September 02, 2009


So last night, at about one o'clock, right before I was going to only get to bed about an hour later than I'd have liked, Roommate Mark informs me that he needs to watch Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill! So, um, needless to say, I didn't get to bed 'til almost 3.

The great thing about Faster Pussycat is that it actually lives up to its cult status as iconic trash. And so few movies whose legends have grown up around them being so terrifically bad actually live up to big expectations. This one did it with one pristine line of dialogue, delivered by our catsuit-clad, go-go dancing, karate-chopping heroine. Confronted by a square-headed himbo with a dismissive"What's your point," she fires back: "The point is of no return! And you're reaching it!"

Here's the other thing: there is a STRONG streak of Texas Chainsaw Massacre in this movie. Faster! predates TCM by a good nine years, yet it often plays like a feminist response to it. Look, these girls stumble upon this weirdass family, the dad's in a wheelchair, he's got a giant retarded son who he makes commit violent crimes for him, and when the victim girl escapes, she's picked up by another family member who's headed back to the house. I don't know if this is just an archetype that the culture keeps returning to, but I have to believe Tobe Hooper saw Faster, Pussycat! before he made his movie.

I can't even get into everything that's awesome about this movie. The women look like nothing you have ever seen, yet they're instantly iconic images. Burned into the culture's brain against its will. This movie was retro kitsch from the moment it hit the celluloid, and that shit endures.

This monologue will endure. Delivered by a wheelchair-bound misogynist old man regarding our trio of hard-ass go-go dancers (which I immediately had to transcribe and post to Facebook at 2 AM):
"They let 'em vote, smoke, and drive -- even put 'em in pants! So what do you get? A Democrat for President, a lot of smoke up your chimney, Russian roulette on the highway! You can't even tell brother from sister ... unless you meet 'em head-on!"
God. Brilliant.


JA said...

"I don't beat clocks! Just people! Wanna try me?"

This movie is joy. JOY. Motherfucking joy.

Judi said...

I really, really want to see this movie. Thanks for the encouragement.

NicksFlickPicks said...

"I THINK YOU SHOULD BE NAILED TO IT!!!!!" It just doesn't get better. I've written it up, too.