Wednesday, July 01, 2009

Trailer Trash Wednesday: Day of Rest

So the first round of the Trailer Tournament is in the books, and while we wait for me to get the ball rolling on Round 2, let's take a look at a pair of high-profile previews released this week.

First, Steven Soderbergh's The Informant, starring Matt Damon:

...Huh. I was not expecting that. It doesn't look bad, exactly, it's just way more broadly comedic than I was expecting. And the same can be said for Matt Damon's performance. I have confidence in the guy, but he just looks SO ridiculous. I'd been led to believe there's something of a story here -- about a whistle-blower who ended up fabricating/embellishing his story for the thrill of it all. I just hope it doesn't get obscured under all the silliness. Soderbergh can pull an aggressively comedic take on this story in for a landing, but the question is WILL he.

Really love this supporting cast, though -- Joel McHale and Will Arnett are only missing Paul Rudd to fill out the Dream Husbands Triumverate. Not a huge Scott Bakula fan, though, and he seems to be in this a lot. Also, a note about the trailer itself: Using the Eurythmics "Would I Lie to You?" music cue when the character's lying is the point of the story? A bit on the nose.

And speaking of characters' lying being the point of the story ... The Invention of Lying, directed by and starring Ricky Gervais:

They didn't use "Would I Lie to You?" for this one, but "Mr. Blue Sky" opens up a can of worms of its own. I so closely relate that song -- at least in the context of a trailer -- to the Eternal Sunshine trailer that I automatically get suspicious that this new movie is trying to ride those brilliant coattails. I harbor no illusions that anyone else thinks about it like I do, though, so I'm sure it's not a problem.

As for the movie, it's Gervais, so I'm infinitely trusting, particularly when he's brought Jennifer Garner and Tina Fey -- two of my favorite people ever -- along for the ride. I'm not entirely sure this is the comedic style that fits Garner best, but I'm happy to be proved wrong. The premise is interesting, though it follows the same dubious premise as "Liar, Liar"; specifically that living without the ability to lie ALSO compels you to speak everything that's on your mind all the time. Nitpick aside, it's an amusing and promising trailer, if not a total knockout.

1 comment:

Rbelle said...

Hmm. I hadn't heard about The Informant, but I also found something off about the trailer. I couldn't tell if it was trying to be too funny - or if it just wasn't funny enough. Whether it's true of the actual film or not, it *feels* like it wants to strike a similar balance as Catch Me If You Can, which wasn't perfect, but which did do a good job of taking a somewhat serious and at least partially true story and lightening it up to make the characters likable and sympathetic, while still examining some deeper issues. This trailer seems to be overshooting that line a bit, and I think a bigger danger than the story being played completely for laughs is that they'll juuust miss the balance, and it will sort of exist in an uncomfortable limbo.

As for the other, the cast looks great, and Ghost Town turned out to be both funnier and more touching than I expected, so I'm game. However, while I think the premise is a neat twist on the whole Liar, Liar thing - in that when everyone has always told the truth, people will believe anything you say - I get tired of seeing stuff like that ALWAYS go to the "I will use this to bed random women" place. Old.