Monday, July 13, 2009

Trailer Tournament, Round 3: What's at Stake

Low Res presents a 64-team NCAA-style bracket tournament to choose the best trailer of the past decade. At the end of each post, YOU make the call: which was the more effective trailer? Not the best movie, exactly, but the best two-and-a-half minutes that made you want to see said movie. You can take a look at the full bracket here, and you can catch up on the entire tournament so far here. Enjoy!

[On a formatting note: I've tried to both embed the trailers (where possible) and link to the trailers someplace where I know they won't be pulled. If there's no embed, blame YouTube. Just click the link on the movie's title and you'll get it.]


The SUSPIRIA Region

2. Children of Men (2006)
Quick check...yep, still makes me cry. Even divorcing myself from how much I loved the film itself, I have to rave about the construction of the trailer. The premise is laid out immediately and simply, the chaos depicted, the hopelessness ... and then out of the chaos comes the girl. The music is stellar not once (the orchestral version of "Gimmie Shelter") but twice (the Sigur Ros song). ...Sorry, I just watched it again and got goosebumps. Just amazing.

[Embed disabled; click on link in title or image above]

Awesome trailer attributes: cool song/score





VS.

6. The Strangers (2008)
If you need me to tell you why, you've clearly never seen it. Click the link, press play, and remedy that immediately. The first time I saw this trailer in a movie theater, even having seen it online and knowing what was coming, I jumped and curled myself into a ball on my seat. You don't even want to know how I contorted myself during the run of the actual movie. I should also note that the entire marketing campaign for The Strangers was flawless, with other scary-as-fuck trailers, killer posters, the whole nine.



Awesome trailer attributes: great tagline; creep-tastic






Click here for more Low Res Trailer Tournament polls.

1 comment:

DuchessKitty said...

This match-up is totally Sophie's Choice for me. Had to eenie meenie my vote.