Thursday, July 30, 2009

Trailer Tournament FINALS: Won't Somebody Think of the Children??

This is it, folks! This one's for all the marbles. This one's for all the tea in China. This ones for the children, the children of the world. Voting will remain open throughout the weekend. Choose wisely!

2. Children of Men (2006)
Quick check...yep, still makes me cry. Even divorcing myself from how much I loved the film itself, I have to rave about the construction of the trailer. The premise is laid out immediately and simply, the chaos depicted, the hopelessness ... and then out of the chaos comes the girl. The music is stellar not once (the orchestral version of "Gimmie Shelter") but twice (the Sigur Ros song). ...Sorry, I just watched it again and got goosebumps. Just amazing.

[Embed disabled; click on link in title or image above]

Awesome trailer attributes: cool song/score


6. Little Children (2006)
Completely artful and tantalizing (and not just because it makes a point of ogling Patrick Wilson just as much as the film does) despite giving away virtually NONE of the plot. That train conceit is killer.

Awesome trailer attributes: teaser; iconic performance


Rachel said...

Both from the same year - interesting!

Dan Mac said...

So I netflix'd Little Children a few weeks ago, thanks to this tournament, and am I alone in finding it not nearly as dark as the trailer makes it out to be? I've been voting for its trailer each round, but now that we've reached the finals, I don't know that I can put it over Children of Men. Even though in a vacuum I prefer it, it strikes me as slightly misleading of the movie it presents, where Children of Men perfectly and completely captures the movie, and is a great trailer to boot.

Maybe 'misleading' isn't fair, but the train motif lends the trailer a sense of impending doom which, not to spoil things, isn't borne out in the movie. Or maybe the movie is that dark, and I'm just that much darker that I didn't notice.

Sandman said...

I had the same feeling about the trailer for Little Children. I expected, given the rising tension established by the train conceit, that the end of the film was going to be truly harrowing. Not that it's fun, but I was waiting for something far more destructive.

Beefy Muchacho said...

Man... I'm so glad that Children of Men is finally being recognized for something. That movie blew my mind when I saw it the first time, and is consistently the first movie I think of when I think "Favorite Movie of the Decade".