Monday, June 01, 2009

The Supporting Actresses of 1992

It was with huge regret that I was unable to take part in May's Supporting Actresss Smackdown over on Stinkylulu's blog. Just not enough days in the month, and I ended up with a few too many familial obligations last weekend, but you all should definitely go and check it out. A great discussion on a rather interesting year in Oscar history.

This would be the famous Marisa Tomei year where she, the lone American, beat out three Brits (Vanessa Redgrave, Miranda Richardson, Joan Plowright) and one Aussie (Judy Davis). History has, I think, been kinder on Tomei's My Cousin Vinny performance than the critics were upon her victory, and it's certainly one of my favorites.

There were other eccentricities that year, too. Like the fact that Miranda Richardson ended up getting nominated for the least impressive of her three breakthrough performances that year. Or that Vanessa Redgrave got ZERO recognition from any of the precursor awards (including the Brits) before her surprise Oscar nod.

Of the nominated women, I'd have ranked them like this:
Marisa Tomei - My Cousin Vinny
Judy Davis - Husbands & Wives
**(or the other way around; I go back and forth on them both)
Vanessa Redgrave - Howards Ends
Miranda Richardson - Damage
Joan Plowright -Enchanted April

And if I'd have been yakking about Oscars back in 1992, my list would've looked like:
Alfre Woodard - Passion Fish
Miranda Richardson - The Crying Game
Marisa Tomei - My Cousin Vinny
Judy Davis - Husbands & Wives
Rosie Perez - White Men Can't Jump
(With honorable mentions going to Juliette Lewis in Husbands & Wives and Polly Walker in Enchanted April)

Anyway, click on over and check out the Smackdown and get in on the debate.

4 comments:

That Bootleg Guy said...

Rosie Perez? Wow, Joe. I mean, I'll happily defer to you as it relates to all things movies, but I'm not seeing it.

She had some great scenes, I'll grant you (her final scene, where she realizes that Billy is never going to change immediately springs to made) but, to me, her performance felt like a lampoon of her TERRIFIC performance in "Do The Right Thing".

Joe Reid said...

Cam, for me, there are few '90s movie moments that top the "Foods with the Letter Q" Jeopardy segment from "White Men Can't Jump." Incongruous to the plot? Sure, but delightfully so.

Seriously, though, I thought she had the angle on the comedy of the movie far better than the two male leads.

Brooke Cloudbuster said...

I think Polly Walker's Enchanted April performance is better to me after seeing her in Rome. I want to see this actress in more stuff, please!

Joe Reid said...

If you haven't yet, see the British miniseries version of "State of Play." Polly's amazing in it, in a totally different way from Atia.