Monday, June 29, 2009

The Low Res Double-Oh Trailer Tournament: This Is Our Last Dance

Low Res presents a 64-team NCAA-style bracket tournament to choose the best trailer of the past decade. At the end of each post, YOU make the call: which was the more effective trailer? Not the best movie, exactly, but the best two-and-a-half minutes that made you want to see said movie. You can take a look at the full bracket here, and you can catch up on the entire tournament so far here. Enjoy!

[On a formatting note: I'll be posting two matchups per post, with multiple posts each day. Remember there will be TWO polls per post in which to vote.]



The GUMMO Region

1. Sin City (2005)
I can't tell you how excited I was the first time I saw this trailer -- and for someone who had zero familiarity with the books, was only so-so on Robert Rodriguez, and thought the cast was an unwieldy mess, I was not a terribly easy get. The whole thing is executed perfectly, from setting the mood, to introducing the three main characters (Rourke, Willis, Owen), and by the time we get to that laundry list of a cast, I was in. The music was good enough to make me download that song by The Servant -- a mistake, but a fitting one since this trailer seemed to make everything look a bit better than it was.



Awesome trailer attributes: cool song/score




VS.


16. Identity (2003)
A smart little trailer for a smart little thriller, there's nothing overtly groundbreaking about this clip, but it's a perfectly calibrated tease for a murder mystery packed with recognizable faces, if not names (Clea DuVall, John Hawkes, John C. McGinley -- character actor's bonanza!).

[Embed disabled; click image or title link]

Awesome trailer attributes: teaser; creep-tastic







The SUSPIRIA Region

8. Adaptation (2002)
I'm not saying that in 2002 "Under Pressure" hadn't yet been overused in trailers/commercials/montages, but a) it wasn't nearly as pervasive as it is today, and b) this trailer uses that song better than anything else has. It's been seven years since this trailer was created, I've seen the movie more than a few times, and yet I still get moved by this clip. I don't know how it happened, but there's an emotional arc to this trailer, and it hits me every time. (P.S. The "iconic performance" I'm citing belongs to Brian Cox, whose melodramatic delivery is the stuff golden trailers are made of.)



Awesome trailer attributes: cool song/score; iconic performance; funny!




VS.


9. Donnie Darko (2001)
Two moments in this trailer tell you everything about this movie you need to know. One is obvious: Frank, the man-sized rabbit in the mirror. The other, though, is when Donnie cheerfully tells Jena Malone: "Oh, I have emotional problems too! What kind does your dad have?" That's the whole tone of the movie, right there: darkly comedic, strangely innocent. I'm not in love with the tagline, but I do enjoy the way the music fades out into atonal ambient noise while the stars get their credits. Self-consciously Lynch, but in a good way.



Awesome trailer attributes: teaser; iconic performance; creep-tastic





Click here for more Low Res Trailer Tournament polls.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

God, I hated Sin City so much, but the trailer made me think I'd love it, so clearly that's one magical trailer.