Thursday, June 25, 2009

The Low Res Double-Oh Trailer Tournament: His Love Is Real

Low Res presents a 64-team NCAA-style bracket tournament to choose the best trailer of the past decade. At the end of each post, YOU make the call: which was the more effective trailer? Not the best movie, exactly, but the best two-and-a-half minutes that made you want to see said movie. You can take a look at the full bracket here, and you can catch up on the entire tournament so far here. Enjoy!

[On a formatting note: I'll be posting two matchups per post, with multiple posts each day. Remember there will be TWO polls per post in which to vote. Also, I've tried to both embed the trailers (where possible) and link to the trailers someplace where I know they won't be pulled. If there's no embed, blame YouTube. Just click the link on the movie's title and you'll get it.]

The BLAIR WITCH Region

7. Hero (2004)
Excoriate me if you must for including the American trailer over the other foreign clips, but if we're talking about the most effective trailers of the decade, and I am, selling the foreign-language Hero to the American masses is the accomplishment I want to applaud. Points taken off for the voice-over, but from that first hail of arrows this became an American action epic. Well sold. I'm even cool with the "Quentin Tarantino presents" part; tickets is tickets.



Awesome trailer attributes: misdirection




VS.

10. A.I. Artificial Intelligence (2001)
With a concept this strong (androids!), a face this familiar (Haley Joel Osment wasn't quite two years removed from The Sixth Sense), and a director this bankable, you can afford to be this much of a tease with your trailer. The tagline ("His love is real, but he is not") became kind of a joke, but it was effective.



Awesome trailer attributes: teaser; iconic performer



The INDEPENDENCE DAY Region

4. Cloverfield (2008)
The perfect sneak-attack trailer, made all the more effective because almost nobody knew a project of this scope was even in the works. The lull lulls, the chaos is chaotic, and then that perfect cut right as soon as the Statue of Liberty's head is visible. That pretty much sold an entire opening weekend's worth of tickets right there.



Awesome trailer attributes: teaser; creep-tastic




VS.


13. Texas Chainsaw Massacre (2003)
Great job of selling a movie that easily 50% of your audience was feeling hostile towards. I'm sure it didn't sell everybody, but I loved the peekaboo glimpses, the old-school camera sound effect, and that fat hick lady going "Ohhh my my my my my..." So creepy. Plus, bonus, Eric Balfour and Mike Vogel looking their sweaty, skuzzy hottest.



Awesome trailer attributes: teaser, creep-tastic



Click here for more Low Res Trailer Tournament polls.

No comments: