Wednesday, June 24, 2009

The Low Res Double-Oh Trailer Tournament: The Teaser

Not sure if anyone noticed, but we're about at the midpoint of 2009, which means, yes, the end of the decade is upon us. It's arbitrary but no less handy time to take stock of our lives, of how far we've come in the past ten years, and to cherish the friends, family, and experiences that have made us the people we are today.

...HA! Just kidding, it's really a time to make lists of your favorite things! And make those lists, I shall! But I've got weeks and months to settle on my choices for my favorite movies, TV, performers, and songs of these Double-Oh years. Right now, I'm choosing to turn my attention to one of this blog's favorite obsessions: the movie trailer. And I'm also choosing to pair that with another one of this blog's favorite obsessions: the NCAA-style bracket tournament. All due credit to Tomato Nation, Go Fug Yourself, and Best Week Ever for reminding me that it's not just me -- everybody loves a good tournament bracket!

So rather than simply count down my favorite trailers of the decade -- to have ME tell YOU what was the best -- I thought we might all figure it out together. Here's how it'll work: I'll put up posts with the individual matchups laid out for you, you simply vote in the embedded polls -- and of course, sound off in the comments.

[For purposes of clarity and overall prettiness, I'm serving these matchups up bit by bit, but if you want to check out the bracket in its full glory, you can always click here: Double-Oh Trailer Tournament]

I've selected my 64 favorite trailers for films released in the calendar years 2000 to 2009. They've been categorized, seeded, and divided into four regions, each named after a film whose superlative trailer fell outside the eligibility range, but which you should absolutely seek out anyway.

So you guys, I really hope you enjoy this. I hope -- and kind of expect -- that I'm not the only one of us who appreciates the skill with which 150 (or so) seconds can sell the hell out of a movie. So let's get started! ...In my next post.

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

I didn't think anything could top Tomato Nation's Ice Cream Bracket but I stand corrected. Best summer project ever!