Sunday, May 03, 2009

'Round Springfield XXXI: Sunday Blog Magazine

So I can't seem to get a handle on how to talk about the Canadian figure skating organization and their attempts to make figure skating less gay. This effort is being spearheaded by ultra-butch skater Elvis Stojko. Should I even bother to be offended by this given that a) the powers-that-be in male figuring skating have always been trying to supress/discredit/play down the more awesomely flamboyant skaters and build up the comparatively more boring "straight seeming" ones; and b) that it's completely doomed to failure, as it has always been. I think rather than wasting energy getting pissed at this, I'll focus my energy on anticipating the gloriousness of Johnny Weir's upcoming reality show.

Via In Contention comes Christian Bale's latest attempt at spinning that whole ridiculous verbal assault thing. At the risk of being unpopular, he places the blame squarely on us, the consumer of behind-the-scenes materials: "I understand people are interested, I get that they want to hear about it, but to me I look at it as old school movie magic and with magic you do not reveal your secrets." Ah, yes, that old school movie magic. Seriously, what an asshole.

Glenn at Stale Popcorn takes up the cause of Monster director Patty Jenkins, and I couldn't agree more. Give this lady another gig, studios!

Finally, two blog series that I am absolutely loving:

1) Glark's Battles of the Bulge photo series, which I was fortunate enough to be able to witness up close and in person yesterday, Boy, those Americans never saw that masala coming.

2) Aaron Cameron's Tee-Ball Chronicles at That Bootleg Guy. Ignore the fact that Aaron is claiming the 5th entry in the series when there don't seem to be entries 1-4, and instead revel in this scouting report of Coach Cam's team of rivals, then this game log. Both are full of the child-hating comedy you just don't get in this PC, overly-litigious world of ours.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're the asshole. You pay to see a movie, not what goes on behind the scenes of it. There are a lot of film makers (Jim Cameron being one of them), that are very particular about adding 'extras' to their dvds. Just because it doesn't give you what you want doesn't mean the actor/director is an asshole. Give me a break.

Joe Reid said...

Oh wow, another angry anonymous comment. Awesome. Cowardly and missing the point. Thanks for the clicks, though.

Sara said...

I was raised by my grandmother to watch figure skating. Even though I don't have much interest, I still watch the programs. And the flamboyant skaters where (and are still!) our favorites. And my gran was a hardcore Republican Texan, but she loved those guys with their sparkly fleshtoned outfits, doing Broadway themed routines.

Fuck the macho ones.

Christian Bale is such an asshole. I still don't get what the DP did that was so wrong; certainly nothing that would justify such a response.

I take my job seriously, but you don't see me ripping people new ones when I get pissed.

Jackie said...

Ah yes, that age old conundrum of figure skating. How to force any elements of straight-y straightness down our throats. I'd say a good 30-40% of the comments over at the TWoP figure skating thread are about this issue, and almost all of them are along the lines of telling the networks to quit shoving it down our collective throat that Evan is STRAIGHT! And to get bent.

JA said...

Christian Bale's asshole-ishness is and always has been about 25% of his appeal, for me at least. (The other 75% is his hot ass, of course, and that's a number that cannot be messed with.) But I've always known he was a prick, and I LIKE IT. I don't wanna hold his umbrella or get him a coffee, ever, but I do want to think about nasty rude sex with him, and he fills that quota just fine by continuing to prove himself a total dick.

Joe Reid said...
This comment has been removed by the author.