Tuesday, May 05, 2009

Pursuant to Sunday's Figure Skaing Post

The issue of butching up male figure skating became a moot point earlier today after Canadian skating legend (and ridiculously hetero) "Easy" Elvis Stojko passed away from complications involving his head totally exploding. The incident occurred shortly after Stojko viewed the following video on YouTube:

Seriously, do you want to take this away from figure skating? From the universe?

(credit Best Week Ever, of course, for the link.)


Sara said...

WOW. It's like what Michael Jackson would be if he were a phenomenally gay ice skater.

Thank you for sharing that.

Stephanie said...

He's vogue-ing on ice! LOVE!

PallasJay said...

That was quite enjoyable, and I absolutely don't think performances like that should be discouraged at all. But, I don't necessarily think that's what Skate Canada was intending, though they couldn't have said it in a worse way. That was a totally original, modern performance, which clearly captured the attention of the audience, and might even be able to draw new people in. I think what they were trying to get away from is the flowy-shirted performances done to classical music, which sacrifice the fun (risky) jumps for more "lyrical" (often boring) elements. I don't read it as a comment on homosexuality in skating per se, but about making it less ballet on ice. To put it another way, I think that Skate Canada would be okay with the equivalent of Adam Lambert on ice but is trying to get away from Clay Aiken on ice.
Also, though I admittedly think that the 1994 Elvis Stojko performance was the best I've ever seen, dude turned into a total douchebag somewhere along the way.

Mel C. said...

There is absolutely no part of that clip that I do not love. Thank you so much!

Rachel said...

I particularily love just which moments the TV people chose to slo-mo at the end there. Heeeee.

gina said...

seriously thank you for bringing that into my life!