Wednesday, May 20, 2009

P.S. If You're Looking for Glee?

I've finally updated the sidebar, starting with the lovely and addictive GLEE! Feel free to discuss here:

Glee (5/19)
Aptly titled, since that's the feeling it's been leaving in pretty much everyone I've talked to. I really, really enjoyed it, but I'm even more interested to see where it goes from here and I don't want to have to wait til September! It reminded me of "Popular," obviously; that was another show that traded on well-worn high-school tropes while sneaking in some great comedy and camp. Matthew Morrisson is perfect, and Lea Michelle's gonna be awesome once her acting catches up to her singing. Also? How is it that I have finally ceased to be creeped out by Jayma Mays when she's clearly playing such a weirdo? I love her now.

Gossip Girl (5/18)
Okay, I still love the show and all, but where the hell did that finale come from? Storylines from out beyond left field (we're taking down Gossip Girl now? After no buildup?), others hastily slapped together (Jenny/Plastics) or resolved with a resigned shrug (Blair/Chuck, Nate/Vanessa, Lily/Rufus) or took place entirely offscreen (Georgina/Poppy). Can't blame the writers' strike for this one, guys.

How I Met Your Mother (5/18)
I hate to admit but I was underwhelmed by what the goat thing turned out to be (it was just built up too much). But Barney and Robin's dance of the emotionally retarded was absolutely brilliant and paid off spectacularly.

Greek (5/18)
The Rusty/Cappie conflict was actually very well done, and I'm glad it didn't last too long. They continue to find new and exciting ways to keep Calvin alone and sexless (not exactly a complaint -- Calvin's kind of a rag and the show kinda knows it), but I like him and Rebecca together. I like Rebecca! Where did that come from?

Harper's Island
No new episode this week, but I feel I need to talk about how much I'm enjoying this COMPLETELY STUPID show. First of all, it totally goes there, violence-wise. Second of all, there is maybe a grand total of one and a half memorable characters, and when I say "memorable" I mean "I can remember who they are from week to week." Third, CJ Thomason and Matt Barr are smokin' hot. Fourth, nobody is even a little smart. Fifth, after seeing that the latest episode was called "Thwack!" I joked that all the episodes were titled with onamotapoetics of kill noises. Turns out that's EXACTLY the case (next week: "Sploosh!"). Seriously, watch and laugh with a friend.

3 comments:

Vance said...

GLEE!!!

HIMYM's goat thing was totally underwhelming and mainly saved by more Lily/pregnant jokes and the Barney/Robin dance of lovers/not-lovers which was hysterical.

Danny said...

"after seeing that the latest episode was called "Thwack!" I joked that all the episodes were titled with onamotapoetics of kill noises. Turns out that's EXACTLY the case (next week: "Sploosh!"). Seriously, watch and laugh with a friend."

This is actually my favorite part of the show. The entitled noises are actually HOW the characters die in each episode. Go back and look!

I'm not enjoying HI as much as I'd like to be, but... I'm still kind of enjoying it.

jessica said...

Glee was perrrrfect.

HIMYM was delightful with the Barney/Robin dynamic and I'm looking forward to next season. Hopefully Marshall will slap some sense into Barney -- literally! Bring back the slaps!