Monday, May 18, 2009

Blogging the 2009 Upfronts: FOX

I have absolutely no time to be devoting blogging time this week to the upfront announcements. So obviously that's what I'll be doing. FOX was first out of the gate today (new shows in bold):

MONDAY
8:00-9:00 PM HOUSE
9:00-10:00 PM LIE TO ME

TUESDAY
8:00-10:00 PM SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE Performance Show

WEDNESDAY
8:00-9:00 PM SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE Results Show
9:00-10:00 PM GLEE

THURSDAY
8:00-9:00 PM BONES
9:00-10:00 PM FRINGE

FRIDAY
8:00-8:30 PM BROTHERS
8:30-9:00 PM 'TIL DEATH
9:00-10:00 PM DOLLHOUSE

SATURDAY
8:00-8:30 PM COPS
8:30-9:00 PM COPS
9:00-10:00 PM AMERICA'S MOST WANTED
11:00 PM-Midnight THE WANDA SYKES SHOW (working title)
Midnight-12:30 AM ANIMATION DOMINATION ENCORES

SUNDAY
7:00-8:00 PM THE OT (NFL post-game)
8:00-8:30 PM THE SIMPSONS
8:30-9:00 PM THE CLEVELAND SHOW
9:00-9:30 PM FAMILY GUY
9:30-10:00 PM AMERICAN DAD

Okay, so we can safely ignore Saturday and Sunday nights, though good for Wanda Sykes for getting her own show.

What struck me about this schedule was how strangely well-matched it was. FOX is usually pretty bad about this kind of thing, but they managed to pull it together here. House and Lie to Me are both quirky procedurals with strong lead performances. Bones and Fringe are both stealthy hits whose audiences might end up bleeding into one another. Sure, their Friday night makes no sense, with two sitcoms paired with Dollhouse, but by renewing Dollhouse in the first place, they clearly realize nobody watches their Friday shows on Friday.

And then, what else? Oh yeah: FALL SEASON OF SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE! And the Wednesday results show is followed by GLEE! I have no idea why FOX is being so nice to me after all the awful things I said about them, but whatever I'm not gonna jinx it by asking too many questions.

I still think it's stupid to premiere Glee this week and then make us wait three whole months (at least) before we can see it again. (Why not just start it as a summer series and if it works, set the back end for January?) But pairing it with a known success like SYTYCD (albeit a known summer success) might make it a better call.

4 comments:

JAM said...

Wait, that's ANOTHER season of SYTYCD coming after the one that starts in a couple of weeks? Somehow I had not picked up on that. I think my head just exploded with joy.

Judi Sunshine said...

"Glee" looks amazing!

momo said...

looking forward to your recaps! You now have an RSS feed on SYTYCD 5 social (sytycd.ca)

Jenn said...

Please post on Glee! I'm squeeing so hard my husband thinks I've lost my mind. So. Good.