Wednesday, April 15, 2009

The Yarn You'll Love Enough to Call Your Own

So yesterday, I writing a story for work -- this story, in fact (Deidre Hall! Air America! YEAH!); and the fact that one of Deidre Hall's Air America guests was Vanna White led to my two favorite conversations of yesterday:

1) Nelly totally randomly name-dropping Vanna White in his immortal hit "Ride Wit' Me." We decided that Nelly has the widest gulf between awesomeness of song and respect as an artist. That is, if you are out and a Nelly song comes on, you will get down to that shit and sing along and have a good old time. And you will yell out the "UH-OH!" part of "E.I." and the "I think my butt's gettin' big" part from "Hot in Herre" and just generally rock out. But at no point in your or anyone's life will you admit that Nelly is any good. Because he's totally not. Now I'm gonna go download some songs.

2) I was directed to read up on Vanna's line of celebrity yarn. Celebrity WHAT? Oh, I'm so glad you asked. Check this out.

Okay, did you click? Did you read? I remind you that somebody got paid to write that ad copy. I seriously hope he or she got paid well, because you guys?
Vanna White, America’s favorite crocheter, has been Lion Brand’s spokesperson for 13+ years. Vanna’s Choice, a silky-soft premium basic, is the easy-care yarn she loves enough to call her own. With its supple hand and stunning stitch quality, Vanna’s Choice has the versatility to help you create the designs of your dreams. Make a simple sweater, shape a stylish shawl, or fashion a stunning afghan. With Vanna’s Choice, mixing and matching colors has never been easier—or more exciting. The fashion forward shades are expertly coordinated to work together, so you can spend less time second-guessing your color choices and more time getting great results.
I could live a hundred years and never read anything so dynamic. Never been easier or more exciting! Fashion-forward shades! AMERICA'S FAVORITE CROCHETER! I need somebody to knit me a stunning Afghan made with Vanna's Choice yarn, and I need it yesterday!

7 comments:

JA said...

I dunno, I always thought that you shaped a simple sweater, fashioned a stylish shawl, and made a stunning afghan. But maybe that's just me.

JA said...

Also, I really hope that you have lots of opportunities to use that "yarn" label there. I want all yarn, all the time, dammit!!!

Joe Reid said...

I figured having the tag would inspire me to seek out more yarn-based content.

Trish said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Trish said...

I've actually crocheted with Vanna's Choice yarn, and it's really nice.



This is one of the dorkiest things I've ever said.

Kris McN said...

Oh, Joe, you should watch what you wish for! I'd ask you about color choice, but why spend time second-guessing (or first-guessing?) when I can spend more time getting great results!

Anonymous said...

I would totally pay to see a Karen Allen v. Vanna White crochet-off. Okay, maybe I wouldn't pay. But I'd be happy that it existed.

http://www.karenallen-fiberarts.com/about.php