Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Trailer Trash Tuesday: Extract

ADMINISTRATIVE NOTE: So I'm conjuring up some kind of best-of-the-decade feature for Trailer Trash and I want to make sure I don't make any egregious omissions. I know my readers are pretty savvy folks -- can you guys hit up the comments with titles of movie trailers from the past decade that you recall being especially effective/imaginative/memorable/notable? I can't guarantee they'll all be included, but I don't want to miss anything obvious. Thanks!



I'd heard a bit about a new Mike Judge comedy with Jason Bateman, but still, when someone sent me a link to a trailer for something called "Extract" I had no idea what they were talking about. Of course, not ten seconds into the trailer and we've already seen Jason Bateman, JK Simmons, and Beth Grant, so I was pretty much immediately sold. That's what you call "frontloading."

It's interesting to see them try to sell this as Mike Judge's grand return to the "workplace comedy." I'm not sure that does much to sell the movie. To the regular schmo, the name "Mike Judge" doesn't mean much. Just say "the guy who made Office Space." I personally don't think that movie has aged so well, but people who do should respond. To anyone in the know, though, Mike Judge's "return" to anything just reminds you what a direct-to-DVD clusterfuck Idiocracy was. And really, they should be selling this on Bateman, Kristen Wiig, and Mila Kunis.

The cast really is strong, though, right? I'm still wrestling with whether I like Ben Affleck or not -- it's been twelve years, you'd think I'd have decided -- but at this point, I think I want to like him, even if it seems like putting him and Bateman into a weed-based scenario seems like a desperate grab for the Pineapple Express audience. Shouldn't Mike Judge be offering an alternative to the Apatow style. Not that I'm anti-Apatow (we're at the point on the Backlash Graph where I'm acting the rebel by liking him in the face of mounting hatred), but you're not going to enhance your rep by copying the top dog.

So I guess I'm cautiously optimistic. My most confident prediction is that JK Simmons steals the show in spectacular fashion. This just looks like that movie, doesn't it? With Richard Jenkins getting that Oscar nomination earlier this year, Simmons needs to keep pace in the Balding, Older, Character Actor With Serious Chops marathon.

P.S. Remember to comment with those trailer recommendations!

11 comments:

BeRightBack said...

The Watchmen teaser trailer? That ended up being more effective than the movie, especially in terms of music choice savvy?

Pamela said...

This was from 1999 so I don't know if it qualifies, but I'm going to go with the original trailer for "The Blair Witch Project."

I watched it over and over again, and it never stopped giving me the wiggins. Every single time.

Joe Reid said...

Yes, Watchmen is on the list. Blair Witch, being a '90s trailer, doesn't count, but I think I've found a decent way to tip my hat to it regardless. Because I'm totally with you, that trailer ruled.

JA said...

The one that IMMEDIATELY popped into my head was Little Children's. I'm sure I'll think of more once I, ya know, think.

Stephanie said...

- Devil Wears Prada. La Streep with those big sunglasses coming off the elevator? Divine.
- Garden State. The movie didn't totally deliver but I loved the trailer: the music, the visuals, the Sarsgaard, everything.
- Closer. I must have watched this a dozen times before I saw the movie.

Kevin5671 said...

-The Royal Tenenbaums
-Punch-Drunk Love
-Catch Me If You Can
-The Hills Have Eyes 2
-Chicago

Kevin5671 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
T-Square said...

I second Closer (and am still disappointed that at least two lines of dialogue, one awesome, were omitted from the film).

Memoirs of a Geisha (regardless of opinions on the film itself, the trailer was AMAZING).

Purely from a demographics perspective, MILK (specifically when placed opposite the trailer for Brokeback Mountain - men kissing? gay? homo? history? *gasp!*) and Sex and the City (a chick flick can't be a summer blockbuster... except when it is).

Joe Reid said...

Thanks for these suggestions, guys! (Little Children! Doy!)

I definitely already had some of these marked down, too, so it's good to see some validation on those. Keep 'em coming!

Anonymous said...

Where the Wild Things Are.

Patrick said...

Sunshine- even with all of the middling reviews, I had to see it based on the trailer.