Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Trailer Trash Tuesday (Part 2): Star Trek



I wrote about this movie a bit in my 2009 preview, and I don't want to belabor the point, but the more I see about this movie -- and the less it reminds me of actual Star Trek -- the more rabid I get about wanting to see it. Yes, trailers can be deceiving and make a movie look more exciting than it is. Come to think of it, that's the trailer's job.

But if the movie being promised ends up anything like the movie being sold, I am so totally in. I can't believe they were ever thinking of opening this in December -- this is a summer movie if I ever saw one. Sometimes, I'm just looking for a movie to throw the kitchen sink at the screen, have Eric Bana scream "Fire everything!" and have planets sucked inwards by Romulan black holes. That's all. It can't be stupid or boring (...Transformers), but I don't need the prime directive in order to feel like I'm getting everything I want out of a Star Trek movie. Cannot wait.

I will now hear objections from the fanboy community.

5 comments:

Julia said...

I'm totally with you Joe, everything JJ Abrams does is worth a try. He got me to go see Mission Impossible 3 in the theaters, for crying out loud.

Glark said...

I'm in that very small space in the venn diagram where "would like to see it" overlaps "unenthusiastic about the whole affair."

I am curious about Simon Pegg's Scotty though.

Rbelle said...

That's Eric Bana? Sigh. That is a highly disappointing application of hotness-obscuring makeup, right there.

Sandman said...

I'm in the same "Ehh... maybe" sliver of Venn space as Glark. I'm fairly unenthusiastic about Abrams on the whole, though. Can I admit to puzzlement as to how Scotty and Uhura and Sulu and Chekhov can even be in this movie with Lil'Kirk? 'Cause I never thought they were all part of the same generation or academy class or whatever. Ooops. I think I accidentally got fanboy all over your post.

adam k. said...

Well it's high time they did a reboot of this franchise and brought in younger people. And since they are appealing to the younger set, I guess it was inevitable that they'd bring it into this "Alias/Felicity in space" CW-inflected zone.

But as a fanboy of classic Trek, I have to say I'm in the same Venn space and Sandman and Glark (maybe it's not such a tiny sliver after all?). Of course I'll see it - I saw all the other bad Trek movies, after all - but I can't say I'm terribly excited. True Trek is over. And JJ Abrams should be in TV... which begs the question of why he didn't just reboot it as a TV series. Ah well...