Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Trailer Trash Tuesday (Part 1): Away We Go



Movies this trailer reminds me of:

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Garden State
Drop Dead Gorgeous
The Squid and the Whale
All the Real Girls
Juno
The Darjeeling Limited
Once
Little Miss Sunshine


Now, here's the thing: I really like all of those movies, and a few of them I outright love. And while I fully realize that the culmination of elements from all those movies will, for some, constitute the hipster-pocalypse, none of that really bothers me. But the fact is, it all feels like I've seen it before, and for a movie with this much talent behind (Sam Mendes) and in front of the camera (John Krasinski, Maya Rudolph, Allison Janney, Maggie Gyllenhaal, Catherine O'Hara, Jeff Daniels, Jim Gaffigan), I'm expecting much, much more than a retread.

It's only a trailer, so there's no saying that the finished product won't be a more fulfilling whole than the sum of its parts. From what we see here, I'm definitely interested in seeing the Kraskinski/Rudolph chemistry play out. But the onus is on the filmmakers to produce something original and prove this trailer is merely a marketing tool seeking out an audience.

[BTW, first step would be getting rid of those binder-sketch animation interstitials. You get quirkily animated credits
OR the sad, bearded tones of the Alexi Murdoch song, but not both.]

1 comment:

JA said...

I say they get both, and I eat it up with a spoon.