Sunday, March 01, 2009

A Conversation about Eliza


Joe: "Okay, here's the thing about Dollhouse. I love Eliza Dushku like a crazy person, but I completely don't care about this show."

Jeff: "You're such a straight boy."

Joe: "Why?"

Jeff: "Seriously, I like her too, but when she's on TV, I'm automatically like, 'Uh, straight boy show.'"

Joe: "But do straight boys even know who she is? I feel like she's a parody of a straight boy fantasy who only gay boys know about."

Jeff: "Hmm, that could be true."

Joe: "Like, straight boys don't know about Faith and Buffy."

Jeff: "So she's the gay boy's version of Jessica Alba in Dark Angel."

Joe: "Yes."

Jeff: "Like, instead of her being a gay man in a straight girl's body, she's a straight girl as invented by the gay mind."

Joe: "And exclusively appreciated by the gay mind."

Jeff: "Interesting thesis, Herr Reid."

Joe: "I may put that on my blog. Because that's how cool I am."


I've got my thoughts on this week's Dollhouse (and the rest of the week's TV) in the sidebar. Feel free to comment on them all right here.
.

10 comments:

BeRightBack said...

If watching Dollhouse was exactly like staring at that photo, I'd be "all over it," that's for sure.

NATHANIEL R said...

oh dude you just totally said more in 14 lines than I said in two whole articles.

'I hate you and your ass face!'

Joe Reid said...

No need to go home and bite your pillow! You actually did, like, analysis and stuff. I was just being a glib asshole.

(And, seriously, that photo IS delectable, isn't it?)

Jenn said...

I'm not a Kate hater, but man, she was annoying last week. When she said that stuff about Locke not loving anyone and being obsessed and blah, blah, blah, I actually responded out loud, "Says the woman who helped hold up a bank to get a toy airplane from her childhood sweetheart."

Anonymous said...

Top Chef - Couldn"t agree more!

Real World - The guys are worse then a house full of catty fags becasue at least we admit to our cattiness!

and even though it was not covered in the TV section I am loving Skins and have one disc left to watch!

Michelle Kinsey Bruns said...

The scientific sample size of one that is my husband would indicate that (some) straight boys are *very much aware* of who Eliza Dushku is. Like, when the current Maxim with her on the cover showed up at our house addressed to a former resident, I couldn't bring myself to not let him drool all over it before putting that rag in the bin where it belongs.

Also for the record, I have a pretty fierce girlcrush on her, yet the fact remains that no one in this house is watching that show. Draw what conclusions you will.

Jo said...

"Like, instead of her being a gay man in a straight girl's body, she's a straight girl as invented by the gay mind."

That is the best quote ever. Can I use that?

Oh and I watched the show and I thought Fridays episode was better than the previous two but still not appointment TV.

Jon said...

"the giant elephant in the room that no one wanted to mention was that their fanny pack (hee) went missing amid a tribe of gypsies."
Except for how Kris immediately decided that the fanny pack had been stolen. Which was just... I mean, I was totally embarassed for him, but also praying that we would find out that the pack hadn't been stolen, because it would be too horrible if the stereotype was true.

And Luke is great, but I think he's got a bit of a stick-up-his-butt problem. He needs to relax and stop worrying that he's going to look like an idiot.

Tom said...

Joe: "Like, straight boys don't know about Faith and Buffy."

I was going to respond to this with righteous indignation but a blog post from me on Jersey Boys went live today. =(

Joe Reid said...

"And Luke is great, but I think he's got a bit of a stick-up-his-butt problem. He needs to relax and stop worrying that he's going to look like an idiot."

I actually found that relatable, rather than annoying. I was kind of with him on the leotard issue. And he seemed to take to the pie-throwing embarrassment well enough (his initial objection to that was that it'd take too long).