Sunday, February 01, 2009

Music Meme

Hey, I've got to bust outta this no-posting funk somehow.

Anyway, first thing you do is head on over to Roommate Mark's blog, The Critical Condition, and take part in his music survey. And if you can tell me what #2 is and ease my mind, so much the better.

Anyway, I had one of these up on Facebook over the weekend and it was lots of good fun. And I like to have good fun here on Low Res, so I'm cross-posting this one here. It's an interesting mix of songs, and this group ended up heavier on the classic rock stuff than I thought it'd be.

So get to guessing!

Step 1: Put your music player on shuffle.
Step 2: Post the first line from the 1st 25 songs no matter how embarrassing
Step 3: Strike through once someone guesses both the artist and the track correctly.
Step 4: For those who are guessing, looking up the lyrics is CHEATING.
Step 5: If you like the game post your own.

1. I hear the ticking of the clock
2. When you were young and on your own, how did it feel to be alone?
3. You're burdened me with your questions, you'd have me tell no lies
4. That old dog has chained you up all night
5. Someone to hold you too close, someone to hurt you too deep
6. I heard there was a secret chord
7. Maybe I didn't like to hear, but I still can't believe Speed Racer is dead
8. So if you're lonely, you know I'm here waiting for you
9. Billy rapped all night about his suicide
10. Yellow bird flying, gets shot in the wing
11. Sweet wonderful you, you make me happy with the things you do
12. She down on the corner, just a little crime
13. The twenty-second of loneliness, and we've been through so many things
14. When you're talking to yourself, and nobody's home
15. Lift up your head, wash off your mascara
16. Mama pajama rolled out of bed, and she ran to the police station
17. Nobody on the road, nobody on the beach
18. It's four in the morning, the end of December
19. Like anyone would be, I am flattered by your fascination with me
20. Well it's all right, riding around in the breeze
21. I go oooh oooh, you go ahhh ahhh
22. When everything is going wrong, and you can't see the point of going on
23. There's nothing you can do that can't be done
24. She calls me from the cold, just when I was low
25. You had my heart, and we'll never be worlds apart

12 comments:

J.D. said...

8. Franz Ferdinand, "Take Me Out"
21. The Veronicas, "Untouched"
23. The Beatles, "All You Need is Love"
25. Rihanna, "Umbrella"

Ugh, all I could get.

Liz said...

Holy shit, Joe. As a longtime reader, I have often thought we should be friends, but this music quiz thingie is making me suspect that we may be...the same person. I never answer these things because I am embarrassed to know so few, but I am killing it on this one.

2. Neil Young, "Only Love Can Break Your Heart"
3. I can hear this one but not sure what it is!
4. Sophie B. Hawkins, "Damn, I Wish I Was Your Lover"
6. Leonard Cohen, Jeff Buckley, or (sadly, my personal fave) Rufus Wainwright, "Hallelujah"
7. Tori Amos, "Cooling"
10. Tori, "Little Earthquakes"
11. Fleetwood Mac, "You Make Lovin' Fun" (hate the title, love the song)
12. Joan Osborne, "Saint Theresa" (Off to youtube this song right now, seriously)
16. Paul Simon, "Me and Julio Down By the Schoolyard"
18. Leonard Cohen (or Tori cover at this rate), "Famous Blue Raincoat"
19. Alanis Morrissette, "Uninvited" (going on the youtube queue as well!)
24. Fuel, "Shimmer" (youtube part 1,000)

Like, seriously. Were we unconsciously bff in highschool?

Julia C said...

5. Being Alive - from Company, so...Raul Esparza?
16. Paul Simon, "Me & Julio Down By The Schoolyard"
17. Don Henley (or possibly the Ataris, I guess), "The Boys of Summer"

Danny said...

1. Heart, "Alone." I shamelessly LOVE this song.

Neel Mehta said...

I'll try to fill in some gaps.

1. Heart, "Alone"
3. EMF, "Unbelievable"
9. ?
13. TLC, "Creep"
14. ?
15. ?
20. Traveling Wilburys, "End of the Line"
22. ?

Michael said...

Hey, someone else bought beautifulgarbage!

22. Androgyny - Garbage

Kate said...

1. Total Eclipse of the Heart - Bonnie Tyler(?)
6. Hallelujah - Leonard Cohen (or perhaps the Jeff Buckley or Rufus Wainwright versions)
7. Cooling - Tori Amos
17. Boys of Summer - Don Henley

Slauditory said...

13---"Waterfalls," TLC

I love this meme.

notanillusion said...

I can't be the only one to know and love that number 15 is "Suddenly Seymour" can I?

Which makes me love you more, Joe.

Joslyn H said...

Your readers are incredibly fast and bright! (But you knew that already.) Sigh - I had 13 of these pegged, but they've all been mentioned already. Chagrined to have missed "Suddenly Seymour", though. 14 is killing me, too...

Andrew said...

9. Mott the Hoople, "All the Young Dudes." And yet, somehow, getting this one just makes me feel really old.

Tom said...

I'll save everyone a day of tip-of-your-tongue syndrome.

14: GnR - Estranged