Tuesday, January 06, 2009

We Haven't Seen The Face of Evil...

...but we know what she does for a living.

Chris Evans's publicist, I don't know how you can sleep at night:

I have no problem taking my shirt off for a role if the part calls for it, but my publicist says, 'When you’re promoting yourself, being you, there’s a way to keep it as classy as possible. Greasing yourself up and stripping down may not be the best way to do it.' To some degree, she may have a point. But at the end of the day, it didn’t bother me then and it doesn’t bother me now. Maybe I dropped to #8 [on the After Elton Hot 100] because I haven’t had enough shirtless photo shoots lately. I’m blaming my publicist.
And so are we, Chris! So are we.

More Evansy goodness can be found in the full interview he did for The Advocate, like the part in Milk he lost out on, his gay brother (who apparently looks just like him but taller), his man-crush on Brad Pitt, his girl-crush on Mannequin-era Kim Cattrall, his fag-hag mother, and how he totally thinks he makes a hot transvestite.

Guess his publicist was grabbing some lunch during this interview. More's the benefit for us, I guess!

[Tip o' the cap to Towleroad for the link to the story.]

7 comments:

bstewart23 said...

He's perfectly gorgeous and, as Sunshine proved, has acting chops rarely utilized properly. And he cannot take a bad photo.

But you new there was a "but" coming, right? I kinda flinched when he said, in the interview, that when his gay brother and his "hilarious" friends, with whom he is "totally down", suggested going to a gaybar, he declined, saying the possible photographic evidence would result in him living down gay rumours for the rest of his life.

Does that mean I should worry about going to straightbars, lest my spotlessly queer rep be damaged, like, FOREVER?

Joe Reid said...

Yeah, that was kind of the turd floating in the pool of what was otherwise a delightful little interview, wasn't it?

And I wouldn't worry about damaging your spotless queer rep just yet. ;)

Stephanie said...

For posting that photo, all I can say is... thank you.

Dan Mac said...

My friends make fun of me for being hot for Kim Cattrall circa Mannequin and Big Trouble in Little China. I'm glad to see, finally, that I am not alone.

Also glad to see Opposite Sex got a shout out, even though like 9 of us ever saw it.

adam k. said...

Really? The gay bar comments didn't bother me at all. After all, he's not just anyone, he's Chris fucking Evans, a famous celebrity with a huge gay following. If I were him, I wouldn't really wanna deal with that either. No celebrity wants to deal with false rumors being all over the tabloids.

And for what? A night out at a gay bar? NO straight men particularly like the idea of going to gay bars and having men flirt with them all night. And if you're Chris Evans, you'll get MOBBED. I dunno, the fact that he's even willing to do an interview with the frakkin' Advocate and talk openly and jovially about all this gives him huge points in my book. That's way more than you can expect out of most American hetero males, not to mention alpha movie stars with prudish publicists.

And the "hilarious friends" comment didn't bother me either. Everyone knows the gays are wittier than average. It was a compliment.

I dunno, you could choose to interpret it all negatively, but based on the context of the whole interview, I give him the benifit of the doubt. He seems über-cool. I kind of love him now.

Jenn said...

Okay, I no longer feel bad for liking him in Cellular.

I agree with adam k. - I think he just means that the media will spread rumors about anything and everything, so if people see him in a gay bar, they're automatically going to believe and start telling everyone that he's gay. I think he just doesn't want to have to deal with people spreading rumors about him, no matter what they are.

The Bloody Munchkin said...

" A night out at a gay bar? NO straight men particularly like the idea of going to gay bars and having men flirt with them all night."

...Unless you happen to be my father. Below is an actual statement my father, who has been happily married to my mother for over 30 years, actually made at my aunt's wake some years ago.

To Wit: "Gay bars? I love 'em. Only place I know where I don't feel pressured to pick up women and I get all the free drinks I want." Yes my father actually said that. Makes me proud to be his daughter.

Anyhoo. Back to the point. I could argue the Gay bar thing both ways. It's very hard in that industry to have a private life and it's probably a pain for said private life to be dragged under the microscope by everybody, so he gets a pass.