Saturday, December 20, 2008

I Am Sorry

I've finally given up on using the term "guilty pleasure" for certain aspects of my taste in music. Not because that taste has suddenly gotten so much better, but because I have at last gotten past feeling guilty about any of it. I can go and listen to NPR talk about the best in this year's music, and I'll smile and think it's great that they've found all this wonderful new music this year, none of which I've even heard OF much less heard with my own ears. Then I'll go back to my iTunes list with its Rihanna and old Fleetwood Mac (greatest hits!) and holiday-specific Darlene Love and I am totally at peace with the whole dynamic.

Still, it seems my capacity for musical shame hasn't gone completely away, and I know this because apparently I am totally into this new(ish) Katy Perry song. And I feel awful about it. She is terrible, and I hate her, and "I Kissed a Girl" was brutal and I never once fell for that, and the lyics are sub-stupid, and her whole attitude is brattier and more attention-grabby than your average VH1 reality show contestant, and yet...I can't stop listening to it. I've taken to putting on repeat in the hopes that I'll burn out on it before I end up accidentally letting it show up on my iPod in front of company.

I wonder, though, if I wouldn't be into "Hot n Cold" guilt-free if it were sung by, say, Pink and not a grown woman who dresses like a Christmas tree. I certainly would be much more receptive to lyrics like "you PMS like a bitch, I would know" if they came outta Pink's mouth. Not sure if it would help lines like "someone call the doctor/ got a case of a love bipolar" though.

Ugh. I am sorry. I'm gonna go listen to it again.

11 comments:

OleNelson said...

Though overused, the "guilty pleasure" thing does have its merits. How else could I possibly describe, for instance, my relationship with "Rock of Love"?

Julia said...

Completely sympathize with your Hot n' Cold love, as I'm right there with you.

Jenn said...

Same here, Joe. I hate "I Kissed a Girl" with a passion, but when "Hot n Cold" comes on the radio, I turn it up and belt it out.

Tom said...

Thank God it's not just me.

Alan said...

Hey... A catchy tune is a catchy tune. Guilt cannot overrule a catchy tune.

Brooke Cloudbuster said...

I love this song except for Perry's belief that she's too good for the 'a' and 'd'. Who do you think you are, Perry? Kelly Clarkson? You haven't earned what she has.

My only consolation is that I'll see this song on my iTunes in a year's time and shake my head at the fact that I liked it.

NYOne said...

Totally agree - I've (mostly) stopped apologizing for liking "guilty pleasure" pop music. Of course, I'm also a musical theater nerd, so I've had years of practice.

patty m. said...

Love the bit about finally being able to shrug off the "best of new music" lists. It took me ages to get beyond the phase of "aspirational music lover" and realize that I like what I like, period. No apologies.

Sheena said...

I had the exact same feeling about this song. I tried the rinse recycle repeat method of killing my affection too. Not only did it not work, but now I know all the words.

NATHANIEL R said...

i pretend not to know who this Katy Perry person is so for me... the message of htis post is: P!NK makes everything better.

And surely she does. So this post is all right by me.

jessica said...

I feel exactly the same way about this song, and I find your Pink insights really intriguing because you're right: I so wouldn't cringe if Pink accused someone of PMSing like a bitch (or, as my local radio station plays, a "chick"), or even suggesting that someone changing his mind "like a girl changes clothes" is an apt analogy. But this Katy Perry woman, with her, in my eyes, pattern of self-demeaning behavior of trendy misogyny ... ugh, it just makes my skin crawl.

And yet, I can not not love this song. What is wrong with me?