Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Last Night, Last Night (or, The Embers Never Fade in the City by the Lake)

[I was gonna post about Prop 8 first thing this morning, but since it's gotten a lil' bit closer, and since I'd rather start things off on a happy note, I'm holding off. For the moment.]

So I've got MSNBC's "Morning Joe" on, which I can take or leave usually. But their music choices for intros and outros are kind of amusing me. "Viva La Vida" playing over footage of John McCain is pretty funny, as is "More Than a Feeling" in any context. A few minutes ago, they were welcomed back from commercials by the Smashing Pumpkins' "Tonight Tonight." I chuckled happily the way I do whenever I hear music from my late-'90s salad days. But then I listened to the words -- in this case, the bridge:

We'll crucify the insincere tonight (Tonight)
We'll make things right, we'll feel it all tonight (Tonight)
We'll find a way to offer up the night (Tonight)
The indescribable moments of your life (Tonight)
The impossible is possible tonight (Tonight)
Believe in me as I believe in you,
Tonight.
Anybody who ever got mocked for calling Billy Corgan a prophet, your day of vindication is here.

No comments: