Thursday, October 09, 2008

This Stuff, or Why I Want This Election To Be Over

Can we just hold this election tomorrow and be done with it? Not just because Obama's up in the polls right now (though, for real, let's hold on to that lead, huh?), but because this kind of ugliness seems to be really ramping up now.

Yes, I realize this was some liberal smartass picking up a camera and finding the most ignorant ones, but he was pretty upfront about that, for one, and it didn't seem to take a whole lot of effort to find these ones.

And yes, there are liberals who are just as mouthy and ill-informed. Who call Sarah Palin a stewardess and McCain a corpse. But this year especially, the other side -- the side highlighted in that video -- is just uglier, isn't it?

It is. Claiming Obama is a covert Muslim terrorist --a sleeper cell unto himself -- is uglier than anything the left could possibly dream up about McCain. It's dirty on both sides, sure, but one side is so, SO much dirtier. And the electorate can't make them shut up fast enough.


Glark said...

America is the new Rome.

Straight Talk on McCain said...

The video, unfortunately, is not all that surprising. The one lady is obviously playing it up for the camera, but not realizing that she’s all along making the interviewer’s point. And the bloodline and name comments are disturbing, but again, not really surprising. Fear can be a powerful thing, and when you can use it a political weapon, you can accomplish much. Look at Hitler.

Barry said...

That video disgusted me. All those people are sick.

dan mac said...

Wait... Are you guys suggesting that Obama's not a terrorist? But he's... You know he's... He's black.

(I'm kidding.)

mspaul said...

I think Andrew Sullivan of The Atlantic said it best (and he's a staunch conservative!):

There was always going to be a point of revolt and panic for a core group of Americans who believe that Obama simply cannot be president - because he's black or liberal or young or relatively new. This is that point. As the polls suggest a strong victory, the Hannity-Limbaugh-Steyn-O'Reilly base are going into shock and extreme rage. McCain and Palin have decided to stoke this rage, to foment it, to encourage paranoid notions that somehow Obama is a "secret" terrorist or Islamist or foreigner. These are base emotions in both sense of the word.

But they are also very very dangerous. This is a moment of maximal physical danger for the young Democratic nominee. And McCain is playing with fire. If he really wants to put country first, he will attack Obama on his policies - not on these inflammatory, personal, creepy grounds. This is getting close to the atmosphere stoked by the Israeli far right before the assassination of Rabin.

For God's sake, McCain, stop it. For once in this campaign, put your country first.

That Bootleg Guy said...

I hear you, Joe. I agree with you 100% These kooks alternately scare me and amuse me.

Then, I hear the news out of Connecticut today and my faith in politickery is restored for a few hours.

Stupid complicated country.

jessica said...

I think the worst part is the wink-wink nudge-nudge attitude of the "bloodlines" lady, the way she wanted to strongly insinuate that his lineage/race/whatever indicated some foundation for evil but then didn't want to elaborate when pressed. Like she knows her racism isn't publically accepted but that it's still right.

So gross.

Anonymous said...

The followup video to that one was just as bad. In it there was a child who said, in reference to Obama, "you need gloves to touch him."

The whole thing just made me sad because I like to think people in general are better than this awful show of hateful rhetoric but I guess these videos prove me wrong.

Linda said...

Yeah, you know...when I see this stuff, I just see racists who are thrilled to have someone "respectable" hand them a reason to embrace hatred of him -- not just dislike or disagreement, but personal and deep hatred that would almost justify killing him as an enemy of the state. Make no mistake: this is a SMALL MINORITY of McCain supporters -- hell, I suspect it's a small minority of people at these rallies -- but it's terrifying and sad.

I think what this tactic by McCain is giving these people is just license to unleash the personal animosity they already feel toward Obama for daring to suggest a young(-ish) black man should beat a white war hero in a presidential contest.

It's giving them license to take it beyond "I would never vote for that man because I think everything he says is wrong and ill-conceived" (which is how I feel about McCain) to "that man is not one of us." I think it's strictly displacement -- they're absolutely, positively and consciously trying to take advantage of racism that lies very close to the surface in some of these people by letting them scoot it a few notches over so that instead of Obama being "other" because he's black, they can say he's "other" because he's un-American because he knows Bill Ayers. It feels almost as good to them as being allowed to scream the racist epithets they hear in their heads and, in many cases, probably say in private.

It's grotesque, it's shameful, it's a tragic moment in which McCain throws away a lifetime of respect from many, many people in the service of something that probably won't work anyway, and it absolutely, positively creates a threat to Obama's life. This is a very, very bad moment in our political history.

Mathan said...

My friend and I were actually talking about this video today and I used it as an example of why I'm kind of holding politics at a safe distance. I want to believe that McCain is really a good guy who's just in over his head. It's like he used all of his spine as a POW and doesn't have any left to stand up to Bush (for what he did last time around) or the GOP for their dirty tactics right now. Palin is clearly going along with the plan because she's soaking up her 15 minutes. But I think that McCain knows the dangerous game that's being played and he's going to feel all the more guilty when it boils over.

Even my grandmother's afraid for Obama and I'm not going to allow myself to get invested only to be devastated when "something happens" to him. I really hope that I'm wrong, but given the turn things have taken, I'm scared for him and his family.

Bo said...

You know, I was thinking the physical danger factor in the shower this morning and feeling like a dufus for it. My thought was sparked by McCain saying last night that Obama is not dangerous and is qualified to be president (at which point his lovely supporters grumbled and booed), but he (McCain) wouldn't be running if he didn't think he'd make a better president. (At which point, oddly, his supporters didn't cheer.) There's this cesspool underneath and there sometimes doesn't feel like there can be enough clean earth to cover it adequately.