Wednesday, October 08, 2008

Rachel Getting Married

I hope to have a review up by the weekend, but I figure if there's anything about it you guys want to discuss in the comments, I'd just as soon do that now.

I'll say for now that Rachel Getting Married is the best movie I've seen in two years (Sarah, I cheated and saw it early, but I am so down with seeing it again), and going into awards season, I don't think any question will be more hotly debated than which of the principal cast members (Anne Hathaway, Bill Irwin, Rosemarie DeWitt, Debra Winger) gave the best performance.


Stephanie said...

I saw it last week and I'm still processing it. Sometimes it felt like you were enveloped in this warm hug, other times like you were getting punched in the gut - it felt like family basically.

While I'd argue that Anne Hathaway gave the best performance, it's Bill Irwin's performance that's stayed with me the most. That guy felt everything .

DL said...

Yeah, I'm firmly on Team Hathaway for Best Actress '08, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't super-impressed with Bill Irwin. For my money, that's the best truly supporting performance by a male actor I've seen in several years.