Friday, October 17, 2008

It Takes a Nation...

UPDATE: Thanks to everyone who has donated so far, and I encourage the rest of you to give if you possibly can. And please remember to forward me those confirmation emails so you can be entered into the drawing. If you haven't gotten an email back from me, that means I haven't gotten the confirmation. Which means you won't be able to make me write about various and sundry for a whole day.

One other thing: If you check out the TN Donor's Choose page, you'll notice there are three figures. One is the total money raised ($63k and counting! And we get a $10k kick-in if we hit 75! Come on, team!), the other is total donors, and the third is total students reached. At my last check, the total students (9,190) divided by the total donors (802) worked out to more than 11. For every one of us who donates, we are helping, on average, eleven kids. So if you fall into that "one person can't make much difference" trap, think about that. Your twenty bucks; eleven kids whose learning experience, whose quality of life, if you don't mind my saying so, has now been enhanced. Now you know what Angelina feels like.

So please, donate! Currently on the Donors Choose board are projects for flash drives, Judy Blume books, and -- in a project close to my own heart and educational experience -- a learning project about the Iroqouis Confederacy. It'll probably be way more impressive than the longhouse diorama I made in 4th grade. All need funding. All need YOU! Heh. But: seriously.

- - - - - - - -
Previously...

Hey, so remember last year when Sarah's Donors Choose charity contest shattered the competition and had Stephen Colbert quaking in his boots and it all led to dancing tomatoes at Rockefeller Plaza?

Well she's at it again, and this time we're all gonna make it happen despite an economy in the crapper. Because that's the reality of a charity drive in this post-bailout world. It's harder for us to donate, absolutely. Money's tight all over. But when money's tight all over, those organizations that depend on our donated dollars suffer. And when those organizations that depend on our donated dollars are classrooms? The phrase "now, more than ever" comes to my mind.

Anyway, the Tomato Nation fall contest will be going until the end of the month. I really want Sarah to reach $100k (that is the level where the human tomato dances in front of the White House, after all). And I'd like Low Res readers to help put her there.

To that end, I'd like to offer my addendum to the TN contest. It ain't much, but let's see what we can do. Here's the deal: you guys pop on over to the TN Donors Choose page and make a donation. Five dollars, ten dollars, twenty, fifty. Whatever you feel like you can afford. When you get the confirmation email, forward it on in to me, and your name goes into a hat. For every ten donors, I'm drawing one name out of the hat, and that person gets to program one full day of content at Low Res. I don't mean one full day like I've been posting lately. Five posts. Of your choosing. You can make me write about American Idol, start a new actors tournament, review a full season of Entourage (if you're feeling incredibly mean), whatever you want.

I realize it's not much, but it's what I have to offer. And the real prize is helping out those kids, I don't care how corny that sounds. If voting for Obama doesn't give you enough happy good feelings this fall, a thank-you note from a classroom full of fourth graders sure might.

Anyway, get to donating! Make me proud!

10 comments:

T-Square said...

Aw, Joe - you'd sacrifice a season of Entourage for the children?

I'm... touched.

Joslyn H said...

Oh, hells yeah! I've already donated to the TN Fall Contest, but this is totally a prize worth gunning for.

~ NYOne (too lazy to switch google accounts)

Jon said...

Hmmm, a whole day of content?

I've always thought the internet could use another underwear blog.

Joe Reid said...

I stand humble in the service of the internet's content needs.

Mark Blankenship said...

Wait, wait... as your roommate, may I ask for a different prize? Like, will repaint the living room? Or surprise one morning with French toast that has Mohinder's face baked in it?

Mark Blankenship said...

Please be aware that I intended to put pronouns in that previous comment, but then I forgot.

Joe Reid said...

I'm open to the idea, but it would take way more than a $20 donation for that.

(How the sweet eff would I even bake Mohinder's face into french toast?? That's gonna bother me.)

Linda said...

YOU HAVE A NEW ROOMMATE???????

Joe Reid said...

Oh, no. I...I never wanted you to find out like this.

Linda said...

That's it; we're through.