Sunday, October 05, 2008

Great Moments in Bad Movies

So after hearing about it from this guy for the better part of a year, I finally rented Just Friends from Netflix. Yes, it's the Ryan-Reynolds-in-a-fat-suit movie. My feeling was that if I expect anyone else to listen to me when I tell them that Saving Silverman is secretly an awesome (if objectively bad) movie, I ought to afford other people the same opportunity.

And, you know, it mostly bears out. Even crappy Ryan Reynolds still has his moments. But, as advertised, the real show is Anna Faris as the crazy Britney Spears analogue brought to Reynolds's small New Jersey town. By the time she's been tasered, concussed, and fed a bunch of Vicodin, you get something like this:


But what nobody told me was how effing great Chris Klein was in this movie. CHRIS KLEIN! I'd written him off so long ago that I'd nearly forgot how much his Paul Metzler in Election gave me hope for him as one of his brighter stars of his generation. Too bad the movie where he delivered on all that promise ended up being Just Friends.

If you haven't seen it, check it out, for Anna Faris and for Chris Klein doing this:



8 comments:

Jeff Hansen said...

Agreed. And it was filmed in my hometown of Regina! It was way too big of a deal here...

Jon said...

I have no particular feelings about Just Friends, but I do appreciate finally hearing that someone else can't stand Ryan Reynolds. He annoys the hell out of me. I always think that people who routinely and convincingly play jerks are likely to be jerks themselves.

Joe Reid said...

Oh. I think I phrased that misleadingly. I meant it like "Even Ryan Reynolds performing kind of crappily still manages to have his moments." I probably should have said "Even bad Ryan Reynolds is still Ryan Reynolds." I really like Ryan Reynolds.

Ryan Reynolds.

Mathan said...

Wow.

Things just got awkward.

Scott said...

I rewatch this all the time, mostly for Anna Faris, but Reynolds does have plenty of moments. And though Chris Marquette's performance is turned up to 11, I greatly enjoy his scenes with Faris and Reynolds too.

The Bloody Munchkin said...

Will Somebody mention the Stephen Root? Because If somebody doesn't I will. He keeps doing these awesome cameos and then up and disappears in movies. Like there just went 5 minutes of awesome and you missed it. No Country for Old Men, Ideocracy, This. I kind of loved his cameo in this. If only for the pants alone.

D. Lam and Gwen Z. said...

Yay, I was starting to think my boyfriend and I were the only two human beings on Earth who'd seen this movie and been cracked up by Anna Faris.

jessica said...

I haven't seen this, but I love Saving Silverman. It's truly hilarious.