Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Trailer Trash Tuesday: Happy Go Lucky

This would be the domestic trailer for the Mike Leigh import/prospective Oscar magnet for lead actress Sally Hawkins. I always tend to be suspicious of movies whose trailer guarantees us we're going to fall in love with the main character -- it's so often a challenge for me to do the opposite. Juno didn't so much do that with the trailer, but that was the thrust of the rest of the ad campaign, and we all know how I ended up feeling about dear Juno. They're certainly going for that approach with Hawkins's "Poppy." She answers her chicken-cutlet boob implant as if it were a phone! Have you ever done something so whimsical and free-spirited?

I'm not saying Hawkins won't be delightfully cheerful and full of British charm -- and I'm certainly not counting out that Oscar nomination; Mike Leigh has a way with leading ladies -- but I'm already establishing a defensive posture, and that's no good. Perhaps I would be feeling a smidge more positive if Miramax had shelled out for some real music instead of stock themes from America's Next Top Model. Because when I'm thinking of adorable pixies who bring sunshine into my day, I really don't need to be thinking of Eva.


Nicole Moore said...

I have to admit that I probably have done something that whimsical. Nothing specific is coming to mind, but one doesn't really attempt to commit to memory acts of whimsy. (To put this into context, I walked out of Mamma Mia! thinking that "Aunt Rose" would be a natural best friend for my mother and aunt. The whole movie seemed like an unusually ABBA filled day with the two of them to me, and made me extremely happy as a result.)

Admiral Neck said...

Having seen this recently, I'd suggest "defensive posture" is not enough to save you from the onslaught of whimsy. Even 300 Spartans would be defeated by it. Hawkins' performance is a non-stop stream of gurgling giggles, reflexive eye-rolling, unfunny self-deprecation, and surface-level chirpiness devoid of wit, insight, or truth. I congratulate her on her method-like commitment to her work, and even kind of admire it, but sitting through it is another thing.

The entire squalid, empty movie is an utterly miserable experience, though I understand is is the most polarising love-it-or-hate-it film of recent memory. Some people think it is life-affirming and charming, while others (such as myself) think it's an insult to the intelligence.

Eddie Marsan is good, though.