Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Good Morning, Good Morning!

(...everybody in the news this morning, good morning!)

I was totally going to post this clip for Elisabeth Shue's birthday, but that's way off in October, and this clip makes me way too happy to sit on for that long. Perhaps as pure (and underrated) a moment of cinematic joy as I can remember. Can't think of a better way to start my day.



Can we make note of two things, once we've stopped singing along? 1) Bradley Whitford in that picture frame as her (soon to be revealed as an) asshole boyfriend, and 2) the shoulder pads, by god the shoulder pads, on that bizarre frock-with-a-bubble-skirt she's wearing. God, I love that movie.

11 comments:

Emily said...

That is one of my mother's all-time favorite movies. She has excellent taste.

jessica said...

Ohmygod, this movie is so freaking awesome. Not only are the opening credits a splendid singalong moment, but I also am a big fan of "Babysitting Blues."

Remember when Keith Coogan was a BOP! magazine pinup boy? Good times.

jessica said...

Fun fact: A quick IMDb search reveals Keith Coogan performed in the "Break-Out Super Stars of Tomorrow" musical number at the 61st annual Academy Awards.

Joe Reid said...

And then he co-starred in that other babysitting-themed movie with the other cute blonde and the circle on his career was closed.

Grunt said...

Joe, that's not a bubble skirt. It's just a really, really, really ugly poofy skirt

Joe Reid said...

And this is why I don't recap Project Runway. Thanks for the correction.

Kristen said...

Aw, my dress to the Christmas dance sophomore year looked just like that (except in all black)!

Grunt said...

S'okay. I would no have known that except for the fact that I was a teenage girl in the late 80s and I thought actual bubble skirts from that era ugly even then.

Here is an example:
http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u108/closetcupcakeii/newbatch.jpg

"Lady" Bea said...

HA! I JUST downloaded that song like, three days ago. The only reason I know it is from this movie.

Elisabeth Shue is so pretty. But that dress is SO ugly. And it took me most of the way through the first season of "The West Wing" to forgive Bradley Whitford for being a douche here and in "Billy Madison." You do NOT cheat on Chris Parker, OK?

Joe Reid said...

Moreover, you don't fuck with the babysitter.

Jon said...

I had forgotten how very big and shiny and bouncy her hair was. It's a perfect match to the skirt, in its own way.