Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Edward Scissorhands: A Rewatchables Photo Essay

I started out just wanting to post on how awesome Dianne Weist was in Edward Scissorhands. Honest, I did. It was on HBO yesterday and there was Dianne as Peg, selling her Avon wares and being so kind to poor Edward. And acting with her hands! My God, that woman did more with a precise hand gesture than you or I do all day.

"The light concealing cream goes on first, then you blend and blend and blend. Blending is the secret."

She's so fantastic. That very first door-to-door scene with Conchata Ferrell is just perfection:
"Today I've come to show you our exquisite line of softer colors in shadows, blushes, and lipstick. Everything you need to accent and highlight your changing look."

"My changing look...that's good."

"And it goes without saying that I also have a complete collection of your old favorites. Those tried and true products we've all come to depend on, year in and year out."

"Come on, Peg, I never buy anything from you; you know that."

"I know."


"Bye, Helen."
By the by, you know this is an amazing movie once you realize it's cast both Conchata Ferrell and Caroline Aaron as nosy neighbors.

Anyway, back to Peg, she also shines through adversity. Consider this scene with an unruly batch of face-spackle:

"Darn this stuff!"

But she keeps at it! And is rewarded with a kicky 'do!

"Isn't it wild?"

Speaking of the haircuts, though they're all so spectacularly fug, aren't they?

I love how Edward becomes a sensation for cutting these housewives' hair in such grostesque ways. That would never happen in the real world! And since I'm now in for a penny, I'd better get in for the whole pound, so here's a whole bunch of stuff I love about Edward Scissorhands, starting with...

The Extreme Slutaciousness of Kathy Baker

She slinks, she schemes, she tempts poor Edward with ambrosia salad. She curls her toes and has a full-on hair-gasm right in Peg and Bill's folding chair. She also has the greatest introductory scene, in which she gets a poor dishwasher repairman in her sights:

"You know, on TV they say you repairmen are a lonely bunch of people. Housewives get lonely too. Although you may not realize it since they haven't made a commercial on the subject."

The Equally Extreme Wide-Eyedness of Winona Ryder

The Lackadaisical Yet Fatherly Righteousness of Alan Arkin

The Plastic Tacky Wonderland That Is the Family Christmas Tree

"It needs something else. What do you think, honey?"
"More bells?"
"More bells. Okay."

The Delightful Bitchiness of Turning Down Perfectly Good Roast Beef

"I can't eat that. He used his hands. I don't think it's sanitary."

The Many Adorable Faces of Edward

The Pastel-Meets-Gothic Set Design

Vincent By-God Price

And That Gorgeous, Danny-Elfman-Scored Ending

"How do you know he's still alive?"
"I don't know. Not for sure. But I believe he is. You see, before he came down here, it never snowed. And afterwards it did. If he weren't up there now, I don't think it would be snowing. Sometimes you can still catch me dancing in it."

I could honestly write about this movie all day. You can tell by how I just did.


jessica said...

So ... not having any more trouble catching stills from movies, are we?

A delightful photo essay, Joe.

JS said...

Those look like haircuts that would be "normal" in Pushing Daisies.

pikajew said...

*sniff* Just reading those last lines makes me tear up...

deirdre said...

God, I love this movie. It's not Winona Ryder's best moment (kinda comes in fourth after Heathers, Beetlejuice and Reality Bites) but otherwise it's perfection.

There was a piece recently about directors working with the same actors and the Burton/Depp collaborations came up, but I think it's equally interesting to examine the director/composer relationship. The Burton/Elfman partnership is one of my favourites.

OleNelson said...

Heh. I had forgotten about the ambrosia salad.

This post makes me oh-so-excited/nervous about Burton's upcoming Alice in Wonderland. I mean, on the one hand, enough with the remakes, T-Burt. But... on the other tempting hand, it could be so, so awesome.

Carol Elaine said...

Vincent Price's presence is what got me watching EDWARD SCISSORHANDS (been a fan since I was a little girl), which led me to a love of All Things Tim Burton. And Danny Elfman.

Dianne Weist just makes me smile in this movie and breaks my heart at the same time. She well and truly rocks.

And while I'm not a Johnny Depp fangirl, I do enjoy his work and he's brilliant in this.


adam k. said...

Who is that girl (?) in the roast beef picture? It looks like some unholy cross between Christian Slater and blonde Winona in this movie.

Yes, Edward Scissorhands is amazing. You know who else is amazing. NASTIA LIUKIN. My new favorite person ever.

Anonymous said...

i think that edward is a bit creepy but i love to watch every time to see Johny deep ;)

Anonymous said...

great post, stumbled upon this while searching in cyberspace for various scenes from Edward Scissorhands.