Thursday, August 21, 2008

Couple Things About TV We Should Really Discuss

(And if you don't watch reality TV, feel free to quietly abstain.)

Okay, 1) I know I mentioned it in the sidebar already, but we have to talk about last night's Project Runway -- the best episode in at least two seasons, maybe more. As far as I'm concerned, it's up there with the Nikki Hilton episode in Season 2 and the wedding dress challenge and Morganza-wrecks-Kevin's-bathing suit episodes in Season 1. For one thing, it was the "why didn't we think of this before?" nature of the drag queen challenge. And seeing the designers set free to take their ids to the limit and be as gaudy as they pleased. And the saga of Suede and Hedda Lettuce (above) was something to behold, truly. You can call Suede many things -- especially "Suede" -- but don't call him too lazy to make sleeves, apparently.

But, as with any truly fantastic episode, it was a culmination of a lot of little moments: like that epic Heidi finger snap. And Leanne (who is slowly but surely growing on me) breaking off a switch and giving Blayne's ridiculous "Licious" fetish the thrashing it deserves. Like Joe's bewilderment and (let's face it) utter fear of the drag divas (there's really "too many queens" now, eh Joe?). Like Terri's ass-kicking Kimono Beyond Thunderdome design. And that's not even getting into the drag names. I thought it'd be super difficult to top Farrah Moans, but Sharon Needles just might have done it.

And 2) is tonight's premiere of Margaret Cho's "semi-scripted" show on VH1. I put "semi-scripted" in scare quotes, because honestly, this is no more scripted than any of the reality shows on, say, VH1 or E!. Faked-up scenarios but real interactions within those scenarios? Real enough for basic cable, I say. It reminds me very much of Kathy Griffin's "My Life on the D-List," in a good way. They've both got their moms and their gays and their determination to shock people at every turn. Margaret's more upfront about her vulnerabilities, but you find that with Kathy too, you just have to be a little patient. And you totally need to check out the interview(s) with Margaret at FourFour. Her love of Rock of Love's Heather is an example for us all.

10 comments:

Mertseger said...

Best. PR Episode. Evah. I know I must have missed several important moments because I was too busy laughing at the previous moment. Terri was robbed, but the winner was impeccably well tailored, and so I'm not too upset.

My wife would totally be the Stella of her season. She cannot imagine being able to go with so little sleep. She'd definitely be the one others are continually trying to get up in time. (My wife has a small shop: you an check out her designs here. She gave some thought to applying for Season 3, learning the audition times and reading the rules, but she remains concerned about the lack of sleep and her speed of execution.)

Grunt said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Grunt said...

I agree that Terri was robbed, except I so adored Joe's outfit on Varla I can not begin to explain it. Terri's outfit was so awesome and yet Joe's emboddied that campy-glam that is drag. I was secretly hoping he would win (and assuming he would not).

And I'm so glad they got rid of Daniel who so consistantly talks about his "taste" level that I think he's really just trying to compensate for his lack-thereof. I know that Jeff at TWoP was pissed when Kenley cracked-up about it on the runway last week, but give her some credit, she was right.

Joe Reid said...

Oh, I was laughing right along with Kenley. She's one of the few designers I really like. Terribly bitchy, but I'm okay with that.

Heather said...

The drag queen challenge was (for me) best ever challenge in Project Runway history. I thought, based on the previews the previous week, that Bravo was just trying to screw the franchise to mess with Lifetime, but this was really good.

And by the way, Hedda Lettuce was a totally hot chick and the winner (the one chanelling Ann Margaret that I can't remember the name) was a totally hot dude (not so much when he was in drag). He was seriously smokin'.

Mertseger said...

I loved the unending contrast between Daniels oft repeated claims of his having impeccable taste and, you know, the garments he actually produced. I think, however, the only thing that saved Keith from going from first to worst was subtle guilt among the PR team (including the judges) about not granting immunity in the previous week's challenge. But, thankfully, Keith still has a couple more variants on fringe to show show us. Be still my heart: I can hardly wait. Daniel was auf'd mostly for his previous weak efforts. This week's garment was typically banal, but not the worst of the week.

Joe Reid said...

Daniel will always have a little bit of my heart for that plastic cup dress, but he fell out of my graces pretty swiftly. Though I do hope he and Wesley are happy together.

jessica said...

I was pretty frustrated they got rid of Daniel this week, if only because I would've liked to see the drag outfit Kellie made. If only they'd dumped him last week and kept her.

Kellie almost certainly wouldn't have won, but I still liked her. Daniel, on the other hand, is tiresome in his best moments.

Rube Goldberg said...

When I was over in London last year, I caught an episode of Project Catwalk and they were doing a drag challenge. The overall show is similar to PR, but not as good and this particular challenge was not well executed. I know a lot of viewers have been clamoring for a drag challenge, but the PC experience had me apprehensive and that the designs would be more "costume" than "fashion". I was pleasantly surprised with the quality of work in this episode.

This was certainly the best episode of the season (so far), but I'm not quite on the "Best Episode Ever" bandwagon. I hold a special place in my heart for the Postal Worker challenge from Season 1 and the Icons challenge from Season 3.

And I totally agree that Kelli would have been a rockstar in this challenge.

Joe Reid said...

And I totally forgot to mention yet another awesome moment: the preview clip for next (this) week with Laura Bennett! Yeah!