Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Trailer Trash Tuesday

Yes, I started this thing as a Monday feature, but you may have noticed I took a day off yesterday on account of being swamped. I also am very fond of alliteration.

So anyway, here's the trailer for the upcoming adaptation of Brideshead Revisited with Emma Thompson, Matthew Goode, Haley Atwell, and Ben Whishaw.



First of all, I love it when classical British whatsits like this dress themselves up in the trailer like suspense thrillers, what with the rock score and the rising tension. Love it. It's tough not to think of the trailer for Woody Allen's Match Point (also given the highly dramatic trailer treatment), given the shared themes of social climbing and England and Matthew Goode.

Matthew Goode, I should mention, is one of my very favorite up-and-coming actors after his performances in Match Point and especially The Lookout, where he couldn't have been less stately and British. He'll be playing Ozymandias in the Watchmen movie next year, and I can't wait for him. I recall thinking Atwell was pretty good in Cassandra's Dream, ditto Whishaw in I'm Not There, but you're kidding yourselves if you think the major draw here isn't Emma Thompson getting her first chance to bite into some serious British period drama for the first time in I don't know when.

I say this thing looks promising. Good looking young guy screws his way up the social ladder amid fabulous architecture and scandalous repressed homosexuality? I'm in. Seriously, that shot of Michael Gambon presenting Atwell and Whishaw like they were in display in a window is perversely amusing.


I've heard people pooh-poohing Brideshead's awards chances, mostly because it's been filmed definitively before, but I'm not sure how much respect the Oscars would have for something that was previously memorialized in a miniseries, no matter how British it was. But maybe that's just me wanting to see a Supporting Actress nomination for Emma Thompson and damn the reality of the situation.

2 comments:

BeRightBack said...

Tell me you've seen the BBSleazy miniseries adaptation of The Line of Beauty (also with the homosex and the mansions and the skullduggery and the Hayley Attwell)! IT IS FABULOUS. And very similar, except it is set in the Thatcher 80s, so there's a "Band Plays On" undercurrent as well.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/drama/lineofbeauty/

Deirdre said...

I've heard people pooh-poohing Brideshead's awards chances, mostly because it's been filmed definitively before, but I'm not sure how much respect the Oscars would have for something that was previously memorialized in a miniseries, no matter how British it was.

Pride and Prejudice was definitively (...according to me, anyway) filmed in mini-series format and that didn't stop the Academy from giving a nod to Keira Knightley. Plus, Oscar loves Emma. So it's not unthinkable.