Monday, July 07, 2008

Trailer Trash Monday: The Day Keanu Sat Still

[Let's see if I can keep to a schedule of one of these every Monday, shall we?]

This is the first trailer for December's remake of The Day the Earth Stood Still. I started off the year super excited for this movie -- the "remake" factor didn't faze me considering the kind of sci-fi we can do now as opposed to 1951 makes it a whole different ballgame anyway, plus director Scott Derrickson did a decent job on The Exorcism of Emily Rose. Also, I'm starting to realize that I'm a big fan of a well-cast Keanu Reeves. Yeah, he's a crap actor, but if you put him in the correct role -- a SoCal slacker time-traveler, a SoCal rebel cop, a SoCal office drone-cum-messiah -- and all of a sudden he's golden. It's my feeling that casting him as a monotone alien could only be more perfect if that alien had grown up in the Valley.

Anyway, the plot is familiar enough: Alien descends to earth, delivers portents of doom, speaks wisely of humans and their ill-stewardship of the planet, joins his alien pals to wreck some shit with a smoke machine, and either does or does not fall in love with Jennifer Connelly. Except for that last two things, it's like WALL-E in reverse. Luckily, this one also gets John Hamm and Kathy Bates to oooh and ahhh at the proceedings.

What do you guys think?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It doesn't really do anything for me, but I'll wait and see more previews before I decide to see the movie.

JA said...

I got a tingling sensation in my nethers when Kathy Bates showed up, but otherwise this trailer bored me. I have no idea WTF that big CG nonsense it shows is even supposed to be.

"Lady" Bea said...

Huh. I'm...curious. That's all I'll commit to though. Huh.

Neel Mehta said...

I was prepared for something really corny and bad, but it wasn't. Still not dying to see it, though the big-screen Jon Hamm factor is a plus.