Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Emmy List: Supporting Actresses

They might release a full list of the top 10 lead comedy actors at Gold Derby, but for now, here's the ten semi-finalists for Supporting Actress in a Comedy:

SUPPORTING COMEDY ACTRESS
Kristin Chenoweth, "Pushing Daisies"
Conchata Ferrell, "Two and a Half Men"
Jenna Fischer, "The Office"
Jane Krakowski, "30 Rock"
Judith Light, "Ugly Betty"
Elizabeth Perkins, "Weeds"
Amy Poehler, "Saturday Night Live"
Jean Smart, "Samantha Who?"
Holland Taylor, "Two and a Half Men"
Vanessa Williams, "Ugly Betty"

This is the only list I've seen so far where the vast majority of performers would make fantastic nominees. Interesting that Jamie Pressly (My Name Is Earl) and two-time Emmy winner Dana Delaney (Desperate Housewives) are absent. Still, it's a fantastic list, with Amy Poehler showing up as SNL's only hopeful thus far, the excellent Judith Light getting much-deserved recognition, and too many talented actresses to fit on my Best Case list. Which, of course, means that the few on the list who I could give a damn about are assured nominations. Way of the world.

BEST CASE: Jane Krakowski, Amy Poehler, Elizabeth Perkins, Judith Light, Kristin Chenoweth. (The fact that I can pick five and leave off Jenna Fischer and Jean Smart says something's going right.)

PREDICTIONS: Vanessa Williams, Jenna Fischer, Holland Taylor, Conchatta Farrell, Jane Krakowski.

6 comments:

OleNelson said...

I know everyone says it every year, but I continue to find the 2 1/2 Men thing completely mystifying. I don't even feel guilty about dismissing it without ever having seen an episode.

And I will be PISSED if both H-Taylor and C-Ferrell make the final list instead of, as you say, pretty much any of the other nominees.

C'mon.... POEHLER!

par3182 said...

surprised they omitted pressly; 'Earl' was subpar this season but she was still firing

it was never going to happen but i wish angela kinsey (the office) and becki newton (ugly betty) could've been recognised

Joe Reid said...

The thing is, as actresses, I love Holland Taylor and Conchatta Farrell. But not on that show.

And apparently Becki Newton was on the short list last year, so she at least came close.

adam k. said...

Since when is it even possible for someone to be nominated for a comedy series Emmy from SNL? That would be interesting.

Joe Reid said...

Since this year -- I'm pretty sure this is the first time they're eligible. Which I SUPPOSE is the reason why Kristen Wiig was snubbed. Hrmph.

Chus said...

This is what I think: Emmy 2008