Thursday, July 17, 2008

Actual Emmy Nominations

So the for-real Emmy nominations came out today, and despite what you're going to hear from disgruntled fans of The Wire (who really ought to be used to this by now), they're pretty okay. After seeing the semi-final lists, these could have been worse, certainly. As you may recall, I made predictions both hopeful and realistic upon seeing the Top 10 lists, so we'll see how the Emmys measured up.

Best Drama Series
Boston Legal
Damages
Dexter
House
Lost
Mad Men


All five shows I predicted showed up here, plus Dexter as a special bonus sixth. Dexter really deserved this nomination last year, but I'm not going to look a gift make-up nomination in the mouth, particularly with crap-ass Boston Legal to bitch about. With Lost, Mad Men, and Damages, this managed to go 3/5 on my best-case scenario, and that's not even counting House, which I am given to understand was very good this year.

Best Comedy Series
Curb Your Enthusiasm
Entourage
The Office
30 Rock
Two and a Half Men

I missed Pushing Daisies for Curb Your Enthusiasm, but I got the other four. This is maybe the worst lineup of the day, with the ever-stale Entourage and Two and a Half Men stinking up the joint. It seems almost too good to be true that 30 Rock would repeat last year's win, but who's gonna unseat it?

Best Actor, Drama
Gabriel Byrne, In Treatment
Bryan Cranston, Breaking Bad
Michael C. Hall, Dexter
Jon Hamm, Mad Men
Hugh Laurie, House
James Spader, Boston Legal

I picked 4 of these 6, but I'm way happier about Cranston and especially Michael C. Hall (who should have won this category last year, when he wasn't even nominated) getting in over Denis Leary. Sucks for Kyle Chandler and Eddie Izzard, but I've just started watching In Treatment recently and am very impressed, so Spader notwithstanding, this is a very respectable lineup.

Best Actress, Drama
Glenn Close, Damages
Sally Field, Brothers and Sisters
Mariska Hargitay, Law & Order: Special Victims Unit
Holly Hunter, Saving Grace
Kyra Sedgwick, The Closer

Picked this one 5/5, which I suppose is the silver lining on the fact that Mary McDonnell, Minnie Driver, Elizabeth Moss, and Jeanne Tripplehorn all got snubbed.

Best Actor, Comedy
Alec Baldwin, 30 Rock
Steve Carell, The Office
Lee Pace, Pushing Daisies
Tony Shalhoub, Monk
Charlie Sheen, Two and a Half Men

The full semi-final list never came out on these, so I didn't pick, but this all seems fairly predictable. Good for Lee Pace, that's for sure. So who's going to rob Carell and Baldwin blind this year?

Best Actress, Comedy
Christina Applegate, Samantha Who?
America Ferrera, Ugly Betty
Tina Fey, 30 Rock
Julia Louis-Dreyfus, New Adventures of Old Christine
Mary-Louise Parker, Weeds

This category's pretty good, as I went 4/5 on both predictions (missing MLP for Felicity Huffman) and my best-case scenario (where Louis-Dreyfus replaced Anna Friel, who I kind of hate on that show anyway). Really, there were only four possible nominees I could have possibly cared about, and they all showed up. Good stuff.

Best Supporting Actor, Drama
Ted Danson, Damages
Michael Emerson, Lost
Zeljko Ivanek, Damages
William Shatner, Boston Legal
John Slattery, Mad Men

First off, a big WHOOP! for Zeljko Ivanek, my personal favorite nomination of the morning. Very well-deserved. His was the only nomination I failed to guess, and excluding Shatner, the other four were the best of the Top 10, so another well-turned-out category.

Best Supporting Actress, Drama
Candice Bergen, Boston Legal
Rachel Griffiths, Brothers and Sisters
Sandra Oh, Grey's Anatomy
Dianne Wiest, In Treatment
Chandra Wilson, Grey's Anatomy

Really surprised that Rose Byrne didn't show up here -- I picked everyone else but Griffiths -- but much like the supporting men, once you disregard the Boston Legal nominee, there are four excellent performers. Christina Hendricks was robbed.

Best Supporting Actor, Comedy
Jon Cryer, Two and a Half Men
Kevin Dillon, Entourage
Neil Patrick Harris, How I Met Your Mother
Jeremy Piven, Entourage
Rainn Wilson, The Office

Same shit as last year, with the emphasis on shit. NPH and Wilson are awesome, yes, but unless one of them wins, this will remain a blight on the nomination sheet. Kevin Dillon over John Krasinski (and Justin Kirk, and Tracy Morgan, and Jack McBrayer). If Dillon can get nominated for playing a mentally retarded version of himself, why couldn't Tracy Morgan have done the same? Are the Black Crusaders behind this??

Best Supporting Actress, Comedy
Kristin Chenoweth, Pushing Daisies
Amy Poehler, Saturday Night Live
Jean Smart, Samantha Who?
Holland Taylor, Two and a Half Men
Vanessa Williams, Ugly Betty

I shit the bed on predictions (only guessing Williams and Taylor), but happily so given the delightful recognition of Chenoweth, Jean Smart, and AMY DAMN POEHLER! She's a long shot to win, but it'd be a hell of a boost for her as she gets set to star in that Office spinoff, right?

7 comments:

dfleishman said...

"If Dillon can get nominated for playing a mentally retarded version of himself, why couldn't Tracy Morgan have done the same? Are the Black Crusaders behind this??"

I kind of want to get a tumblr just so I can post an entry with this quote.

Brooke Cloudbuster said...

Honestly, even though there were five better nominees for the Best Actress, Drama category, give or take, it's still one of the least embarassing categories.

And I support Bergen's nomination. She's often the best part of what has become a really bad show in the past few years. The Supporting Actress, Drama category is still my favourite by a long shot.

And I really, really hope Vanessa Williams can pull a win through for once.

adam k. said...

I still don't understand whether there was a rule change or something that let Poehler get nommed. Aren't SNL people not allowed? Since it's like a variety show? And they don't really have recurring roles? Or was it always allowed, but just never done? If so, I'd think Molly Shannon, Will Ferrell, Darrell Hammond, Anna Gasteyer, etc. would've broken the before before. I mean, Poehler's funny, and probably the best one on the show right now, but there've been plenty of more worthy people on the show in the past.

adam k. said...

*I meant to type broke the BARRIER before. Obviously.

Joe Reid said...

Not sure if it was a rule change or just a change in the way SNL submitted itself, but they used to compete in the "Variety or Music Special" category, alongside, like, Billy Crystal hosting the Oscars and Chris Rock doing a stand-up special and such. I remember Molly Shannon, for one, getting nominated at some point. I'm sure there were others.

I think they're a better fit in the comedy series category anyway.

adam k. said...

Interesting. I saw that the show itself is still in that Biller Maher/David Letterman/John Stewart category, but I guess the performers are in the comedy series categories? Makes sense, since they're all supporting, and the comedy series categories actually include supporting.

I do think Amy deserves it this year, if only for the fall-out-of-your-chair-funny skewering of Hillary Clinton (and after being favorable to her previously... nice).

"1) I am a sore loser."
"2) My supporters are racist."
"3) I have no ethical standards."

I just about died, I was laughing so hard.

adam k. said...

also re: Peohler, I think the novelty factor may actually help her toward a win, but I admittedly know nothing about TV. So there may be some other prohibitive favorite I just don't know about.