Friday, July 25, 2008

12 Movies and a Meme

So Jason had to go and tag me for this meme today, this one via Lazy Eye Theatre with a very simple premise: You're given the run of a movie theatre and asked to program six double features for the week. Fairly simple. The task:

1) Choose 12 Films to be featured. They could be random selections or part of a greater theme. Whatever you want.

2) Explain why you chose the films.

3) Link back to Lazy Eye Theatre so I can have hundreds of links and I can take those links and spread them all out on the bed and then roll around in them.

4) The people selected then have to turn around and select 5 more people.


Here we go:


Badlands (1973)
Boogie Nights (1997)

A pair of movies from genius (though uneven, if you ask my unpopular opinion) auteurs. Badlands is Terrence Malick's first feature, while Boogie Nights is Paul Thomas Anderson's second. The parallels are excitingly numerous, but most prominently, for me, is how they're both such deceptively funny movies.

Velvet Goldmine (1998)
Hedwig and the Angry Inch (2001)

Unabashed celebrations of the interconnectedness of sex and music, and also the destructiveness of getting lost in one's own celebrity. More importantly, though, what a fun time this double feature would be. If I could manage to run these movies on Halloween, it'd be even better.


Aliens (1986)
Kill Bill, Vol. 2 (2004)

Couldn't program six nights and not have one devoted to ass-kickery from the ladies. Aliens because it's the clear best of the franchise, while Volume 2 edges out Volume 1 because of the protective-mama connection.

Terminator 2: Judgment Day (1991)
Jurassic Park (1993)

Time to take advantage of the big screen. These are both movies from the early 1990s, featuring groundbreaking special effects that, in fifteen some-odd years since, haven't lost their luster. This one's an evening for popcorn and light beer, and Jurassic Park playing second will hopefully keep the kiddies away.

The Long Kiss Goodnight (1996)
Newsies (1992)

So bad it's good? So bad it's bad? One from column A, one from column B? I'm on the record as thinking Long Kiss is one of the best bad movies of my time. I can't say as to where Newsies falls, since I can't watch more than ten minutes without cringing at the thought that I owned a VHS copy of this movie as a kid. Either way, I'd want to make a go out of running it as a campy midnight movie. Who's with me??

JFK (1991)
Seven (1995)

Now that the guilty pleasures are out of our system, onto a pair of my favorites movies outright. I'm not sure what connects these two movies in my head so much -- law men on the trail in search for justice only to find sinister evil they may never be able to fully grasp, something like that -- but they both feature virtuoso work by Oliver Stone and David Fincher. That's pretty much all the excuse I need.


5 comments:

Jenn said...

My college had Jammies in the Gym movie nights every semester (we were a dry campus; we had to make our own fun), and they showed "Newsies" once. It wasn't a midnight showing but it had the same feel. Excellent choice.

Piper said...

Long Kiss Goodnight, followed by Newsies. There's a movie dare if there ever was one.

Vance said...

It never even occurred to me that Long Kiss was even bad... I loved it! So much for my tastes!

Shockingly Ive never actually seen Newsies... esp. considering I love my musicals!

Jo said...

I have never seen Long Kiss Goodnight but I might sit threw it for Newsies. I love that movie and I have no idea why. It is bad, in a "not bad meaning bad but bad meaning good" way. C'mon how can Christian Bale jumping around doing jazz hands not be adorable and entertaining?

Deirdre said...

For some reason the first pairing that leapt to my mind after reading the premise was Stranger Than Fiction with The Purple Rose of Cairo. I have no idea why.