Friday, June 27, 2008

Wow, Restraint? Really?

I think lost track of where the culture has ended up on Cloverfield. This is a movie that was backlashed for months before it premiered, enjoyed a spike of goodwill during its opening weekend with a lot of really positive reviews and a strong box-office total, and then after that box-office declined steeply, the naysayers came out of the woodwork and started painting the picture of a total flameout. Is it time for a backlash to the backlash to the backlash to the backlash? I hope so, because I really loved Cloverfield -- so much so that I'm actually looking forward to a sequel.

Which makes this bit of news from Gothamist (via a very good thing: director Matt Reeves says they're not going to proceed with a second film until they have a really good idea for one. How...novel. You wouldn't think it'd be so laudable that you'd wait for a good idea to make a movie, but...well I could link to shit all day.

Pair this news with the word, via MNPP, that Guillermo Del Toro's only going to make that second Hobbit movie if the story's there and you could chalk this up as a pretty good week for restraint. You know, Wanted notwithstanding.

1 comment:

Eric said...

I also loved Cloverfield! People really hate restraint or something. I don't get it.