Thursday, June 26, 2008

A VERY Good Year

I thought about writing a post similar to Linda's when I was on the train back to Buffalo, but I didn't because a) I was exhausted, b) my stomach was doing some bad things to me at the time, and c) I would have totally started crying like a bitch in front of the entire Amtrak business class. I was sad to leave New York, you guys. Seriously sad. Sad about the way things turned out at Bravo, sad that the year seemed to fly by so fast, sad that I was only able to uncover 1/1000th of such a vast and surprising city, and of course mostly sad about the friends I was leaving behind. I hadn't realized it until that train ride "home" to Buffalo, that New York had become home for me too. It only took a year.

I don't write about my personal life much here on Low Res. I don't have that Emily Gould gene for public self-examination. Whether that makes me more or less healthy as a person is a question for another blog post (that will never, ever be written). But here's the thing about me: I never thought I could make it in New York. Too crowded, too cramped, too dirty, no family to fall back on. A great place to visit, I said, but I could never live there. The TWoP/Bravo thing, of course, was far too good to pass up, and I don't regret it for a second. Getting to work in the same room with the finest, funniest people I've ever known, in the same building as NBC news, on the same floor as Saturday Night Live...it was a fantastic experience. But the best thing about that (ultimately unrealized) dream job was that it proved to me that I could hack it in New York. At least in terms of the crowded hustle-bustle (the money is another story -- one that will hopefully be bent to my will soon enough). I'm not going back upstate because New York defeated me -- which was a real worry when I first moved there -- and I can carry that knowledge into the next time I move there.

And there will be a next time. Soon.

But while I was busy not writing this entry on the train ride to Buffalo, I was thinking of everything I'd take away from my first year in New York. From that first week where Linda and I were out to dinner and I overheard the guy at the table behind me say, "...so I said 'fuggedaboutit,' right? Badda-boom!" I swear to you, that's exactly what he said, in the most sincere manner possible. I sort of raised my eyebrow to Linda and told her we could cross that one off our list.

I managed to cross a whole lot of other things off my list after that: seeing the B52s on Halloween at a Roseland Ballroom chock full of costumed revelers; watching the Giants win the Super Bowl in most spectacular fashion and with real, true Giants fans and not just people like me who hated the Patriots; cackling at Step Up 2 [No Colon] The Streets with Tara and Linda and Adam; walking through Central Park when my parents and sister came up to visit, simultaneously showing off my new city and being amazed by it myself; Xanadu with Tara and Dan and John (...and again with Maria and John...and a third time at some point this summer); the day the cab caught fire in front of 30 Rock; the Tomato Dance; movie screenings with Michael Haneke, George Romero, and Sissy Spacek with probably the best movie pal I've ever had; proving my Scene-It dominance at Tara & Dave's and kind of freaking Tara out with the depth of my arcane trivia knowledge; Survivor Thursdays with Linda and Brian; the subway performers (big ups to the guy who fit that stand-up bass onto the train; no big ups to the wannabe Step Uppers who kept almost kicking commuters in the head as they did their flips); the brownies at Pret; the heroes at Brooklyn Bread; the waitstaff at the Noho Star; riding the elevator with Tom Brokaw and Tiki Barber; my precious few other celeb sightings (what up, Donna Murphy and Keenan Thompson!); every single gorgeous and wonderful friend I either made or bonded deeper with in the last year -- you know who you all are, and you're the reason I'll be back.

Like I said, countless good times, and not 1/1000th of what the city has to offer. Next time, I'll be ready for more. More Broadway shows. More city wandering. More (any) photos taken. I won't miss the summer, but I'll miss everything else.

27 comments:

dfleishman said...

Does this mean you are done at TWoP too? I will cry. Your recaps are my absolute favorite.

If so, can I ask what Bravo is doing exactly that is driving all the best recappers away?

Joe Reid said...

Still recapping, just not doing all the other things I was doing.

dfleishman said...

Oh, good!

Elwood said...

When will the E:THS of the TWoP/Bravo merger be told? I've been beyond curious ever since the announcement that everyone was leaving.

NYOne said...

Ah, this is what I feared after the Guffman post.
Heartfelt best wishes. This will sound weird since we've totally never met, but I'll miss (the idea of) you being here in NYC. Come back soon!

Grunt said...

I know what you mean nyone. I've met a few TWoP recappers (one, it turns out, went to my high-school), but never actively sought them out because, ew, creepy.

But there was something very nice about knowing that Tara & Dave, Linda, and Joe R were in my town and getting to experience the wonders of it. Now Dave & Tara are off to SF, Linda's off to D.C. and Joe is back up to Buffalo (wisely in the summer as opposed to the fall), it sort of makes me sad. Heck even Couch Baron is off to LA.

Was it me? Do I smell?

Brett said...

I know I said this in an earlier post of yours, but thanks for the update Joe. Like others have said, I feel like I really knew y'all. And that's something that I miss. A lot.

Linda said...

The weird thing, reading this, is that Joe took to New York like a duck to water. He became Guy Who Goes To Obscure Movies, he made great new friends, he became Guy Who Can Live In A Small Space (heh), he became Guy Who Has Mastered How To Change From The F To The Uptown 6 Which Is Harder Than You'd Think, he became Guy Who Notices Interesting Weirdos On The Subway...Joe did great in New York, and in the fall, he will do great again.

We really did have fun. If any of you ever find yourself needing to share an apartment in your thirties when you haven't shared living space since college, I highly recommend that you share with Joe.

Joe Reid said...

Guy Who Has Mastered How To Change From The F To The Uptown 6 Which Is Harder Than You'd Think

Ah, yes. And by "Mastered" you mean "learned to take the F to 34th street and walk across town." (It really is harder than you'd think. And walking halfway across an island is easier than you'd think.)

Thanks, sincerely, for you lovely nice people saying lovely nice things. It's always nice to know you're appreciated.

As for the THS about the Bravo deal, I'm not your guy, sorry. I can tell you we weren't fired -- I saw that one floating around today, "oh, they were obviously fired." No one was fired. We all left of our own accord, for reasons that I don't want to go into. Not because it's painful or anything, just...like I said: no Emily Gould gene.

But I will be back, New Yorkers. Trust that.

Linda said...

Frankly, I think being fired would have been more fun, and I could have collected unemployment.

Joe Reid said...

Right?

Linda said...

Okay, I admit it: I quit because of Joe. I could not take Joe for one more minute. MY EMILY GOULD GENE IS BLEEDING.

Jon said...

Damn it, I thought you both quit because you were sick of editing me. You mean I've been carrying around this guilt for nothing?

Bark said...

Aw, and to think you were on that Amtrak train rolling right by me in Poughkeepsie today... maybe that's what caused me to feel so melancholy!

Sarah D. Bunting said...

"Now Dave & Tara are off to SF, Linda's off to D.C. and Joe is back up to Buffalo (wisely in the summer as opposed to the fall), it sort of makes me sad. Heck even Couch Baron is off to LA."

I'm still here. But I guess I'm the one who smells.

Tara said...

And we're not moving to SF at all. Which is why Joe needs to come back for reals!

adam k. said...

I might need a NYC roommate in a year or two...

Linda said...

Oh my God, the entire bullpen conspired to make me leave town thinking they were all leaving, and now they're all going back! I'm onto you people.

Sandman said...

I'm with dfleishman, and glad to know your recaps won't be disappearing. I've said this to Sarah already, but maybe it bears repeating: TWoP just isn't the same without all of you original formula lunatics.

All the best, Joe.

Emily said...

Sing it, sandman. TWoP has a completely different feel these days. Me no likee. Have a great summer in Buffalo, Joe! And come back soon.

Kathryn said...

Don't cry. Wegmans is waiting for you.

Grunt said...

Oh Sars! I didn't mean to dis you! It's just you were one of the people who had the good taste to live in NYC before the buy-out.

Joe Reid said...

Jon: depends on which Jon this is. Maybe we DID quit because of you.

Adam: keep me posted.

kathryn: You bet your ass it is!

Jon said...

Whoops! This Jon be LTG.

(And I know Wegman's is all fancy now, but when I was a kid it was just one of the central New York grocery stores. Hearing that it's waiting for you is like being told that Price Chopper is waiting for you.)

jessica said...

Aww, I miss Price Chopper. I just got back to Ohio from visiting Utica and I don't think I've ever felt as nostalgic for the old Mohawk Valley as I did this weekend. I drove by the Galleria on my way home, Joe. If I'd known you were back in Buffalo I would've stopped and introduced the kids to Orange Julius. Is there still an Orange Julius in the Galleria?

Best wishes to all the TWOPpers. I miss the pre-Bravo feel.

deirdre said...

I miss the pull-quotes more than anything else. I loved the little asides you all used to put in the recaps, but there were fewer of those in later years, anyway. But I still go back and re-read Deborah's West Wing recaps, for example, and can remember which phrases or quotes would have been highlighted under the old format. And I have fun reading the recaps of shows I didn't watch at the time and imagining which sentence on each page would have been picked for that coveted sidebar quote. Because I'm weird like that.

Anyway, glad to hear you're not giving up the recapping, and best of luck back in Buffalo. I'll think of you next winter when Buffalo and Toronto once again reverse the stereotype about Canadian winters.

Maria said...

Dude, if I'm in town when you come back this summer, I'm totally up for another Xanadu show.

I have to agree with Linda about your taking to the city so well. Looked like a natural to me. (And I'm not just saying that because I use the same method to get to the 4/6 trains from 34th.)