Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Official Low Res Crush Object: James McAvoy

I'm tinkering with the category title, but you get the gist: this is the first in a randomly-appearing series of my pop cultural objects of affection.

So with Wanted opening this weekend -- and with me being the only person in creation who wants to see it more than WALL-E -- and with James McAvoy showing up on The Daily Show last night and reminding me just how sparkling (if fidgety) a conversationalist he is, I figured it was high time to show my appreciation.


The important thing to remember about James McAvoy, of course, is that I SAW HIM FIRST. Way back in 2003 when...shit, I don't know who the Hot Young Thing of 2003 was (Shawn Ashmore? Orlando Bloom?), but whenever everyone was talking about whoever was up and coming in 2003, I was bust telling no one in particular about this kid in the weird Sci-Fi Children of Dune miniseries who managed to steal the show from sandworms and pre-born abominations and Susan Sarandon. James McAvoy, bitches. I saw him first.


I tried to keep an eye on him as best I could over the years -- no, I didn't see Wimbledon, yes I do think he made a rather fetching quadriplegic in Rory O'Shea Was Here -- until the first Narnia movie dropped and a few people here and there were talking about that goat-looking fellow who was kind of the best thing in the movie not named "Tilda Swinton." And then there was The Last King of Scotland and it snowballed from there. He's still got his naysayers, and if Wanted bombs, it's going to be a weight around his neck for a long time, but I'm of the mind that you can't go wrong with an attractive, well-mannered young Scot, can you?

No, you cannot. So enjoy this smattering of YouTubings featuring McAvoy at his most charming.

James talking about sex scenes and "doin' it on the telly":



James's scarily perfect Ryan Seacrest impersonation:



And finally this lengthy (but worth it) appearance on fellow Scot Craig Ferguson's show.

14 comments:

J.D. said...

Okay, you saw him first... but can I borrow him for, like, 10 minutes? Please? I need to pass my Anatomy final! Yeah, that's it...

Joe Reid said...

Have him back by 5:00.

J.D. said...

Score!

Anonymous said...

You really need to check out James McAvoy in the British drama 'Shameless' that's where I saw him first, and he is just awesome.

whammo said...

While you two pass him back and forth, can I just listen to him talk? Just let him read me the side label of a Cheerios box and I'll die a happy man.

jessica said...

Wimbeldon wasn't that bad.

floretbroccoli said...

What, you haven't seen State of Play yet? Now available on DVD. I think Netflix has it. A must see.

Eires32 said...

Floretbroccoli beat me to it, but I second (MEGA second) State of Play. All around goodness from all the actors, but JMcA is adorable.

Trey said...

Not to boast (well...maybe to boast) but I have you beat by noticing him in Masterpiece Theatre's adaptation of White Teeth in '02, so...knife fight?

floretbroccoli said...

I saw (and fell for) Mister McAvoy in White Teeth, too. But, although it was made in 2002, I don't think it was on Masterpiece Theatre until 2003.

To me he has always seemed like the Scottish version (upgrade?) of Josh Charles.

Joe Reid said...

Damn, James McAvoy, Kelly MacDonald, Bill Nighy, and Polly Walker? Hello, State of Play!

Anonymous said...

Agree- I think of him as the blue-eyed version of Josh Charles, whom I love.

floretbroccoli said...

State of Play: Don't forget David Morrissey (of the original Blackpool, from which sprang Viva Laughlin), John Simm (Life on Mars), and Marc Warren (Hustle) at his most louche.

Boy, not only is there a U.S remake of State of Play in the works, it looks as though there was or will be a U.S. remake of everything its stars were in.

kelbelle said...

State of Play is fantastic. I watched all six hours in one sitting.