Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Low Res Celebrates So You Think You Can Dance Week, Day 7

Seven days is a week! We made it! The Top 20 dance tonight, so from now on we'll be looking ahead. But one more glance back at my two favorite things about Season 3.

First up, my very favorite routine of last year: the Mandy Moore-choreographed boardroom jazz dance between Neil and Sabra. Sabra was one of those dancers who was just baseline great all season, and she deserved to win the show, but she didn't have nearly as many highlights as some of the other dancers did. This is an exception. She and Neil really sparked together, and their intensity and ability to stay in perfect synch with each other (not to mention the ingenious choreography) is what makes this performance.



And finally, from my favorite routine of last season to my favorite dancer of last season: Lacey Schwimmer. I didn't realize it at first, until I started ticking off in my head how many great performances she'd put in, how dazzlingly gorgeous she was in her performances, how many different styles she did so well in. Seeing as I liked about 80% of last year's finalists, something intangible had to put my favorite over the top, and for Lacey it's either her weave (probably not) or her grace and beauty on the stage. Go with that one.

Now, you should know I am appropriately scornful of the YouTube fan montage phenomenon. A few reasons/excuses as to why I'm posting one here: 1) I couldn't settle on one Lacey moment, so this fits all of them in one clip, 2) fan videos get profoundly less annoying when they're not shipper videos, 3) the Ryan Cabrera song was used as the elimination ballad last year, and ... well, I don't want to talk about it, and 4) Lacey's probably the kind of dweeb who digs fan videos, so it's in her honor.

No comments: